Hi, I have been told that rectal temperature is the most precise and since then I measure my child’s temperature in rectum, but it seems to show higher temperature then at armpit. What about high rectal temperature?

Taking a child's temperature is always been stressful task for mother. You can take body temperature from the mouth, armpit, ear, skin surface or the rectum. And even if you were told to measure rectal temperature, as it is the most precise it is not really recommended. It is very unpleasant, and the difference compared to other places is not significant. Rectal temperatures are about 0.5ºC higher than readings taken from the mouth or ear. It is also said that temperature readings from the armpit are about 0.5ºC lower than mouth temperature, and it is up to you to which source will you rely.