Hello. I'm very worried about my mother because I don’t know what the hell is going on with her. She’s middle aged woman and I'm her only daughter. About two weeks ago she told me that she noticed a small amount of blood in her stool but it has stopped soon after.
That’s why she didn’t pay too much attention on it but couple of days after- she started to suffer from strong abdominal cramps. I took her to see a doctor immediately which determined that she has developed some rectal polyp and that she must stay in hospital for observation and evaluation of possible operation. How serious this is and what else should I know about this condition?

Hello. First I would like to tell you that I understand you're worried but you shouldn’t think about that so mush.
To calm you down, I will tell you some facts about all this. Rectal polyps are small growths that project from the wall of the rectum inside. The most common symptom is mild rectal bleeding or there are no symptoms at all. What’s the most important- they are benign.
But although they are not cancerous, they have the potential to become cancer. Therefore, it is probably the best option to remove polyps and check the entire colon for more polyps.
Doctor kept her in hospital for observation and probably to do some cancer screening tests because it is important to identify polyps and signs of cancer in the colon.