Hello! Something very strange has happened to my son when he tried to poo this morning. He has some sort of rectal mucosal layer sticking out of his anus. It is pink in color. I am a bit worried and I don’t know how to react. I didn’t show him I was in panic as he was pretty nervous too. Does anybody know what this is? Thanks!

Hello! The same thing happened to my son once. I took him to hospital straight away and they explained to me what this is. It is called rectal prolapse. It is when the end of a colon, rectum, protrudes or is sticking out of the anus. It ( one of the rectal layers) is pink in color, because it has a rich supply of blood vessels. This probably happened when he was trying very hard to have a bowel movement. When this happens ( shouldn’t be often), you should try to reduce the prolapse by taking a generous amount of lubricant like K-Y Jelly and applying it to the protruding part of the rectum, then gently pushing the mucous membrane layer back up the rectum using a piece of plastic wrap or a latex glove to protect your hand from feces. If you can’t do it, then you should have a physician do it instead. This could have happened only due to constipation but may be the very first sign of cystic fibrosis. So, he should be checked by a doc just in case.