I`m 42 and I have arthritis, which was probably the cause of my hip pain (in the middle of thigh). The pain is very bad and so far I`m taking ibuprofen and trying to avoid many activities. A friend told me that swimming may be a good option, but I would like to found out something about medications for hip pain and surgery.

Hi. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications are usually being prescribed for the hip pain, but surgical repair or hip replacement may be an option for aseptic necrosis. Hip replacement is for hip fracture, and seems to me that is not your problem. Anyway, the common treatments are: first, you should rest the joint. There are also ice and heat applications, stretching and physical therapy. If nothing works, you have a hip replacement surgery, which is a common procedure, and is used to treat osteoarthritis.