After 5 months of what my surgeon described as severe repair, while he replaced my left hip - I remain in unbearable pain that includes the left lower back, hip, and front of left thigh from knee through left groin. Cannot stand or walk, when pain begins, it will drop you to the floor. Some days worse than others, in the last month I had about 4 days in which I made the days without severe pain. HELP - has anyone experienced this - is it an infection or does anyone have an answer.

Hi Marcellis,

I'm sorry that you're in pain.

Unfortunately, most doctors NEGLECT to tell you that there is often a lenghty period of rehabilitation and that it can be painful.  It may even be worse than before. 

The "sales pitch" for a joint replacement usually includes statements to the fact that it will end your pain and discomfort.  Unfortunately that is not always the result.

See your doctor/surgeon and don't hesitate to get another opinion.

Thank you for your consideration. Most doctors will not believe how bad the pain really is. An orthopedic surgeon should have told me that, however he did tell me after the surgery that the damage was one of the worst he had ever seen. I had put that surgery off too long. There really wasn't much muscle or anything left to work with. What is the next step? Tell my Surgeon and continue the pain meds? i take 60 mg of oxycodone a day, 300 mg of tramadol, muscle relaxers and Meloxicam daily. What would be the MAGIC combination of meds? This combination helps until I stand up.

Talk to the surgeons first just to make sure that it is not an infection or other complication. After that, there are doctors that specialize in pain management. Hopefully your surgeon/doctor can recommend someone or check with the board of registration for doctors in your area - or your insurance company.

These pain management centers can be very helpful. They don't rely just on medications. They also offer things like acupuncture and massage therapies.

Good luck.