For past 1 month I am having swollen lymph nodes in my arm pit. It started with high fever [103+ deg] and could not be controlled with normal antibiotics.

The temperature is now in control after taking IV antibiotics but the lymph glands are continuing to swell. During another Ultra Sound, doctors found swollen lymph nodes in my neck and left collar bone area also. These nodes seem to be fixed and painless. Got couple of FNAC done for the axillary nodes and both time it has come negative for malignancy and as reactive.

I also have severe itching in complete neck area. Something that feels deep in the skin but does not go away. This itching has been for more than 2 years and keeps on going and coming back.

Doctors have suggested wait and watch approach but I am very concerned because of family history and the swelling spreading into other areas.

I have read that there are less/no symptoms in early stages of Lymphoma. Is it possible to have swollen lymph nodes in more than one area in the early stages.

Please suggest.

Thanks

The good thing is that results were negative for malignant changes, but it’s still uncommon for lymph nodes to continue to be enlarged for this much time. Maybe some viral infection like mononucleosis is the cause since antibiotics didn’t help to remove the problem completely. Mononucleosis can come together with some bacterial infection like strep throat which would explain why antibiotics helped with fever. And usually, all that doctors recommend for treatment of mononucleosis is bed rest. But, I suppose your doctors probably have checked for mono. As far as I know, lymphoma is known as one of “silent killers” because it has almost none specific symptoms in early stages. And your tests came negative for malignity.

Thanks for your views.. just that it was only a fine needle aspiration which is not confirmatory. So going ahead with a full biopsy of the neck lymph node to be really sure.

My doctor says I am being too paranoid.. but just want to be sure than sorry

I understand that you want to know and that it’s not anywhere near a nice feeling to even have to consider an option that it might be something as bad as cancer. I was in that situation this summer and I don’t even want to think about it now. It wasn’t, but I have to go on regular checkups anyway. But, even though you don’t have much choice at the moment except to fear of worst, people around you are just trying to help you to stop worrying and calm yourself down. They, including your doctor, are just trying to make things easier for you, because you know, fear, anger and constant thinking about worst options really can’t do anything good. It just makes you feel even worse. Good luck!

Thank you buddy.. helps me calm down and have strength to face whatever is in store for me