I want to buy myself a bike. As you may know, buying a road bike for the first time can be an overwhelming experience. There is countless number of brands to choose from. On top of that, I also have to consider size & fit, various levels of components, frame and fork materials. At the same time I have to fit all of this within a reasonable price range. Can you give me some advice for compact bike frame sizes?

In recent years many bike companies have moved from traditional bike sizing to compact frame sizing. This is very convenient since it allows for people of different heights and proportions to ride the same bicycle size. It is done by sloping the angle of the top tube. You can find the compact frame size breakdown like this for a number of manufacturers.
XSM 48-52cm
SM 51-55cm
MD 54-58cm
LG 57-61cm
The most accurate way to determine what bike size is the best for you is to go and visit the professional. He will take measures and find the best possible brand, or multiple brands of bikes that will fit you. That is what most people do.