Hi, I am 24 years old, and my face is covered with whiteheads and blackheads. It looks terrible, and makes me feel much unsecured. I would like to know why they have different colors, and how can I get rid of them?

Hi, whiteheads are known as closed comedones, and blackheads as open comedones. Blackheads are follicles with opening that is wider than normal, and they contain sloughed off cells and plugs of sebum. The black color comes from a chemical reaction that leads to the oxidation of melanin. Whiteheads are follicles that contain the same things as blackheads, but they have a much smaller opening. That’s why their white, because the air cant reach them and cause oxidation. Whiteheads shouldn’t be squeezed, because it could lead to infections and scars. The best way to get rid of them is with a special advice made of steel. Before you use it, you should steam your face to soften the skin. If you don’t want to use this advice, there are other methods you could try. Some medical creams you can buy in pharmacists can also help you get rid of the whiteheads and blackheads.