I'm at the point where i can't increase my mileage.
It's not because of endurance, stamina or leg strength - it is because i cannot convince myself, mentally, to continue.

I get bored.

What do you guys do, think of etc to keep going??

Help!!

I think its the weather, Tim. Its been so hot lately that the thought of going further is not healthy. I have backed off my mileage because of the weather. Once the fall comes in, I am sure the motivation will come back.

The VRAA actually burned me out a little, I did 141 miles when I am normally do around 120 or so.

Try some cross training, I started riding once a week in place of a run, and it helps keep me motivated.

Thanks - I am starting to swim laps
and
Sandy Cheeks gave me a speed work workout - and that will add some excitement to my routine

I agree with Greg. The weather has been the killer. Either change running times or continue what you are doing and pick it up a notch after it cools down a bit.

Mixing up your training schedule a little will probably help (like adding some speedwork, hills, fartleks). I know that while I'm on recovery I'm pretty much stuck with pounding out slow miles without the thumbs up from the doc to go faster. It can get pretty boring at times and the heat doesn't make it much better.

Yeah, Tim, 4-430 in the morning lets go.

I'm out the door between 5 and 530
i'll meet you at North Avenue - you can end each lap with a sprint up the hill

I agree with Purple, too.

The speed workout will keep things exciting, and you will notice improvement, which makes you more motivated as well.

You are not talking about being bored with running in general, just on long runs, right?

Could you throw any hills in? New route? I think new scenery can keep you interested longer than your standard route.

Thanks all

Enjoy your runs

If each run is boring, and you can't make it past say 5 miles without going nuts, maybe you should pick a longer distance goal?

Would it help you knowing you had a 10K coming up, to either go 6 miles in training or know that you were going to regret it later?

10 solid straight posts about running? I'll be a monkey's uncle!

Leave it to Joel to ruin that one.

Leave it to Joel to ruin that one.
Yeah, a good running post and he has to mention monkey's

Leave it to Joel to ruin that one.
I was talking about the uncle thing.

I must be a freak....I am slower than ALL of you and I love the long runs. Especially on a nice course, like Forbidden Drive or Kelly Drive where it is scenic. Where are you running, Pro?? maybe a change of scenery or a new route to explore would help. I notice new things almost every time I am running, because I make it a point to. I know that sounds corny but there really is a lot out there to look at when you're out for a 15 mile run......I miss that! :(