Ok, so here is my problem. As I trained for the Nike Women's Marathon last summer ), I developed a knee injury after rolling my ankle badly. I had a lot of trouble with the knee, and despite rest, it would hurt so badly after any length of run that I could barely walk the next day. I decided to run the marathon anyway (naturally) and after the race, in which I dragged my injured leg the last six miles, my knee was horribly inflamed and I was in an incredible amount of pain. I attended physical therapy for six weeks and during that time I was not allowed to run. I HATE the gym, and I felt no motivation to hang out in there while waiting to recover. I guess I just fell into a nasty rut. It has been almost six months since I ran the marathon and it has been almost six months since I have run a week with regular mileage. Several times I have started running, only to give up after a week or two. I lost so much of what I had built up during training while in physical therapy. Right now I can barely run three miles. I guess I feel ashamed of myself. I am embarrassed to get out there and run because I know I am a shadow of myself and I realize I am so far from what I can do. I dread building up and slaving away for something I already had. I am so unhappy with myself right now - I love to run and I love how I feel when I run. I am having serious motivation issues and I do not know where to start. I like running alone, so I do not want to join any kind of running group. Running for me is a time of solitude and reflection. If anyone has suggestions on getting my butt in gear, please help me! I am sick of sitting around lamenting what was and what could have been. I already missed the entire Arizona winter race season and I know each day that passes I am losing a little more of what I had. HELP!!

Set achievable yet strenuous goals to achieve

What you need to do is dig down deep and remember what motivated you in the first place. Was it fitness? The ability to run further and further than you ever thought possible? Was it the speed you were developing?

These are the things you need to draw back on as you get yourself back into tip-top marathon shape. Hey, you are a MARATHONER for goodness sakes!!! You can do this, you know how!!!

Let's get back out there with lessons learned and not get back to where you were, but even BETTER than before.

You can do it!!

Please let us know how you are doing.... Best of luck and see you at a Marathon some day