I've really started to slack on hitting the weights. I used to get up and lift 3 or 4 days a week. I looked at my training log over the weekend and I haven't lifted since February. I'm starting to thin down quite a bit. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm starting to get quite a bit weaker too. :|

What do you do to motivate yourself to get up early and workout? I've been the king of the slackers about getting up early for the last couple of months. :|

Oh you peon!
How dare you claim yourself "King of the Slackers" with me in the house?!
I have no answer to your question, since my motivation equals that of a small puddle of mud....quickly drying in the heat.

I don't. i do everything AFTER work. The weekends are my "early" days meeting skaters at 8 or 9 in the warmer months and running on my own Sundays for a few miles about 9:30

in the morning all i care about in either more sleep or coffee.

Not to use such a cliche' but you put the bar pretty high there PH. Between cycling and running, you outdo the lot of us. And then add your historical lifting schedule, that time commitment is huge!

Between home, career, parenting and 49 other things, my training time for a week hovers around 5-hours of actual butt in motion work out time. Some of it's in the morning and some of it at noon.

But motivation-wise, I say as long as your log has something (which I believe yours does) I don't think it's a motivational issue. I'm tempted to wonder if it's more of a "seasonal" issue. Training with specific goals of peaking for peak events and then cycling through times of recovery, base building, sharpening and then racing again are what I think most of us need to keep at this endurance game. Trying to go at it day-in and day-out on all fronts for 52-weeks a year is a hard row to hoe.

Give yourself a little credit for one heckuva grinding winter. Call it a recovery type phase and now get yourself in to a new base building, sharpen things up over early summer and pin point some peak races to build towards... :twocents:

Well I tend to get up early automatically anyways...it seems that I'm programmed to wake up at 5-6 in the morning without an alarm clock..I have now taken advantage of my situation by moving my runs up early in the morning since work takes up most of the day. As for weights...I've been slacking off for more than a year now and now I'm back at it..I do them after work or during my lunch break.

I am morning person by nature, In fact most of the time I am up before my alarm goes off at 414.

My motivation is the fact that its time for me, alone, also the roads are all but mine.

I'm going to partially agree with jrjo on this one. You do have a pretty demanding schedule. Between working out, cycling, and running, you put an incredible amount of time into it. I think it'd be near impossible not to get burnt out a little doing as much as you do.

With the weights... why do you work out? Re-evaluate your goals with working out and go after them. I personally don't see a lot of value in a rigorous weights routine. I do weights every now and then, but mostly it's just to maintain some upper body strength, and I do back workouts for posture. I'm not trying to get stronger, because I really don't see the point.

I find 25-30 races a year provide me with sufficient motivation.

I agree with jrjo's comment about having structure in training and including multiple phases where you emphasize different aspects of training. It's important to incorporate some sort of recovery phase where you give your body the chance to recover from all that hard training/racing you did over the past winter. But recovery does not mean a period of doing nothing...you can still maintain your fitness by doing easy recovery runs or X-training with different activities and at the same time get plenty of rest.
As for weights, like what Mech said, you got to have a purpose as to why you are doing them (just like any other workout that you do)..I just started on a weight training program (with a personal trainer) to help me in my running (upper body and lower body strengthening). Is your weight training routine specific to running/cycling?

I am a morning person anyway and especially when I am on day work love getting up early to start my day off right.

On my days off, Abby is up early any way, so it is a great reason to get up a run because Abby is so easy to take care of while I run, she just entertains herself nicely.

I am just motivated by the fact that I love getting moving in the morning.

Morning person here. But I don't do any weekday running or weights until after work. The sooner I get into work, the sooner I can leave. And that makes a world of difference.

About the same here, except skating. I take my gym bag with me to work and run immediately after getting off for an hour or so. I just can't deal with morning exercising/running.

Excellent advice.