I have to run in the afternoons on weekdays partly due to my work schedule (in at 6am, out at 5-7pm :? ) and my neighborhood is simply not safe to run in before dawn. But in this extreme heat I've been forced into LA Fitness and the treadmills.

Tonight I'm going at 8:00pm so I can hopefully use one for more than 20 minutes. Usually I can sneak in an extra 10 but if there is someone waiting that's about it. There are about 20 treadmills and from 5:00pm to 7:30 they are full. I'm hoping that by 8 tonight useage will drop off a little.

Ever thought of trying some water running Ga ?

I've got your same issues, GRR. I'm out of the house at 5 AM, and if even I don't run, I don't get home until past 5:30 PM. The pool isn't an option for me. My only recourse is to run in the heat during the week (weekends work much better). I've convinced myself mentally that it will work to my advantage (at least giving me stamina and acclamation to similar race conditions, at the least). My body isn't going along with it. Yet.

What's the gym like at 5am?

/btdt

I had problems with heat for awhile earlier this year. I found though that if you run in the heat your body will slowly get used to it. Of course you want to start slowly and make sure to drink lots of water but in time running in the heat won't be to much of a problem anymore.

Yea just drink a lot of water, but also a sports drink or something with electrolytes and sodium to retain the water well.

Gradually extend your time out running in the heat.