Hi, I consider myself to be in good shape. I cycle almost every afternoon and I think that this is a great way to be fit. Recently I have heard that doing only one type of workout is not the best way to exercise and that cross training is very important. Why do I have to have to do versatile exercises to keep fit?

Hi, cross training is the best way to keep your body in shape. When you cross train you activate different muscle groups and your body is more activated. Doing only one type of exercises will do great thing for the involved muscles but it won't help with the general fitness. Specified workouts are good for athletes because they have to work on muscles that are essential for their sport discipline. For people who train to stay healthy and fit cross training is more effective. Try it and you will see that it is fun to break out of your ordinary every day cycling routine and go for a swim once a week.