I see that there has been a new craze. It is called spinning. Many people have gone crazy about it. A friend of mine leaves work early to make sure that he gets into overcrowded class. Supposedly by altering the resistance and the position on the bike it is possible to simulate many aspects of road cycling. Allegedly it is a very good workout for those who train for cycling. Does Spinning have benefits to cyclists?

To be the honest, it may help certain aspects, but it cannot replace specific training for cycling. Supposedly 45 minutes in a spinning class can replace 90 minutes on the road. I sincerely doubt that. Spinning is a high intensity exercise. It does provide an excellent cardiovascular workout. Also you train the same group of muscles as you do in cycling. However you do not do it against gravity. You don’t get benefits of forward propulsion either. On the other hand I have found that my technique is now far more fluid than it was before. I can thank spinning for that. It has also helped me to keep a steady pace while on the road. Strength training really helps. However cycling up hills is irreplaceable. Generally, good athletes can cycle good Argus times purely on spinning workouts. However, the rest of us have to rely on kilometers in the legs as this is what really matters.