Hi, I am 21 years old male and I have visited my doctor because I am coughing last few days and have fever. After doctor examined me and listen to my lungs he told me that cause of my bronchitis is virus and prescribed me some anti coughing medications and antipyretic. I was very surprised as I didn't get any antibiotic so I would like to know if it is right.

Hi, your doctor has made right decision as he concluded that virus caused bronchitis. In such occasion antibiotics won't help you as viruses are totally resistible to them. In such cases therapy is symptomatic and you would drink medications for coughing and antipyretics if your body temperature rises. Anyway if your mucus becomes green or if it lasts over one week you would visit your doctor again and get some antibiotics because it may be sign of secondary bacterial infection.