This is a spin-off topic from the other topic about abdominoplasty. I was wondering who is a good candidate. Do you have to have a very saggy tummy or is abdominoplasty appropriate for people with just a little big of sagging skin, AKA ordinary belly flab women in their 30s and 40s tend to have? Is there perhaps such a thing as abdominoplasty lite, you know what I mean? 

Is anyone reading this forum who has had abdiminoplasty done and if you have, what was your belly like at the point where you had it done and did your surgeon say anything about this question?

No I don't think so.... abdominoplasty is the same as tummy tuck, which is basically where excess fat and skin are removed to tighten the muscles and fascia in your abdomen. It's considered to be something that's done for women who've lots loads of weight or are saggy from pregnancy and childbirth. Women who have just a little bit of sagging skin have a solution that's a whole lot more safe and probably easy in the long run though it still takes loads of effort, and that solution is... wait for it... going to the gym. Don't get me wrong no judgement here. I've gone through periods of not working out and then when I return to the gym and aerobics my tummy tightens right up to where I'm happy again within 2 or 3 months, you know? 

Yes, you should not have a tummy tuck surgery done until you are at least age 35 ideally. It should also be done before you are 50.

If you just have a little bit of extra flab and your muscle structure and skin are good, there is no need to start worrying about plastic surgery. This problem is something that can be fixed quite easily by means of regular exercise and in combination with a healthy diet with calories tailored to your needs. Surgery requires general anesthesia and recovery and comes with risks. Why subject yourself to this when you do not need to? Surgery is not the same thing as having a facial or something.

Just to clear this up: I was not asking if women with just a little bit of sagging skin could have abdominoplasty because I am considering it for myself. I was simply curious. I often start topics about things I am just curious about when I read things on the internet about them. 

You have a fair point of course. Hitting the gym would be better for someone with some belly flab than getting surgery. But if people with just a bit of flab were to go for a consultation asking for abdominoplasty, would they be denied or would the surgeon still do the surgery for them? Or would an alternative procedure be recommended, like liposuction?

Yeah, no. 

Like I just said on the other tummy tuck thread, tummy tucks are, if you like, a way to kick start your new and healthy life, something that will give you a foundation that you can maintain. Even after a tummy tuck, you will still need to exercise regularly and eat healthy to keep things looking good. 

People with just a little bit of sagging skin are already nearly in that maintenance phase and just need to adopt a healthy lifestyle. If you don't need surgery, that's a good thing and not a bad thing. It means you don't need a major op to get the body you want. 

Well, if a bit of surgery could help you with this and you are happy about going under the knife to achieve a positive change in your appearance, then why not? People are always going on about the risks of surgery, but I am sure it's not that bad. Do you know anyone who died from a tummy tuck? Me neither. These are all very safe procedures otherwise they would not be done in the first place. Why suffer in the gym when you have the choice of taking another way, not the easy way out because I am sure it hurts afterwards, but another way out. This is your choice.

Celebrity

Well, it's important to be balanced about this. Nobody should assume that "just a little bit of sagging skin" means the same for people who are considering tummy tuck surgery for it as for those who are convinced that it can be eliminated with exercise alone!

"Belly flab" (some amount of excess fat) and "sagging skin" are not the same either. Belly flab can cause the appearance of bulgy skin, but the fat is causing it. Where you are truly talking about sagging excess skin, even if it is fairly minimal, a tummy tuck is in fact likely to be an option for you. Sagging skin has lost its elasticity and will often not bounce back no matter how much time you spend at the gym. 

Rosie