Some help, please?

I am very seriously considering tummy tuck surgery at the moment. Of course I have spent quite some time reading all about it on the internet, and what struck me is that some places say that "some surgeons will recommend a compression garment" while others are quite explicit about saying everyone needs to do this after tummy tuck surgery for at least six weeks. 

Anyone familiar with the ins and outs of tummy tucks here? I'd like to know for sure if I will need to wear a compression garment or not and if so for how long. Also does this interfere with clothing?

Ah... what you have stumbled on is a disagreement between surgeons. 

Traditionally, everyone would be asked to wear a compression garment after tummy tuck surgery, and yes, often for relatively long periods of time, to promote healing and increase the chance of being very happy with the outcome. A growing number of surgeons seems to think that compression garments after tummy tuck are not necessary and may even increase the risk of complications because you might not be able to breathe well, so you can end up with pneumonia and other nasty lung problems in a worst case scenario. The risk of deep vein thrombosis may also go up. 

So, trivial as this sounds, it is actually a very important question, and you should be happy you are thinking about it now before you have chosen a surgeon and scheduled your tummy tuck. 

That's interesting, Pink! I had no idea!

It seems like common sense to protect an area as sensitive as the abdomen after major surgery. With coughing, laughter, or vigorous movements it would seem like there's a high chance of things going terribly wrong unless there is that extra protection, in the form of bandages and a compression garment of some kind. 

Maybe that is not quite true after all. 

In any case as long as the performing surgeon is competent, I would always just advise to follow their instructions. Techniques may vary, etc, so it seems logical that instructions would also. You can always ask questions if you have any, before the surgery, and clear up confusion. 

Celebrity

Compression garments after tummy tuck surgery serve several purposes. One is to reduce post-operative swelling, which you will definitely have. It also protects the surgical site, which will be fitted with a drain to allow excess fluid to flow from the site. Finally, like a waist training corset, a compression garment actually promotes optimal results in terms of esthetics, which will be important to anyone who gets this surgery. 

I have never heard about doctors not recommending compression garments at all, but I do know some advise them to be worn "just" part of the time, rather than 24/7 except when cleaning yourself. 

Rosie

I was told to wear a compression garment for six weeks post tummy tuck. By week four, I was sooooo fed up with it that I had to call my surgeon's office to check if it was OK to take it off for just five minutes, and they said okay, as long as I don't do any heavy physical activity. No jogging, sit ups, that kind of thing, and to put it on again only for that kind of thing. I listened to his advice and it all worked out fine in the end.

The only thing I can say is always listen to your surgeon's advice!!! This is very important!!!

Hello!

I have no experience with tummy tuck, but I did have liposuction and after it, I had to wear an elastic compression garment. This helps reduce swelling and so actually speeds the recovery time up a fair bit, and also reduces the amount of bleeding you'll have right after the operation.

I am no expert but the last thing I'd do when having surgery is play around with defying the recommendations the surgeon made, especially if those recommendations are universal and advised by every single surgeon doing that operation.

Hope that helps.