I haven't had one in forever. What's the best thing to do? Just leave it alone and limp around? Put a bandaid on it to cut down on the rubbing? Pop it????

I've got a whopper of one on my little toe and it hurts!!!!!!!!

Pop it and leave the skin on it, then put a band aid on it. Neosporin is good, too.

I agree with Jen. but i don't normally pop it until the tenderness goes away a little
you could also soak your foot in epsom salts...

Pop 'em! :D

I like to cut a slit in the blister so it won't close back up. I make sure my feet are clean and just put on a pair of clean socks. If I'm going for a run I'll lather it with a liberal amount of vaseline.

jim

If you are going to drain the blister, the opening should be made near the base, not at the top. Don't force out the fluid - at most a warm compress. Then apply ointment, gauze, and bandage.

I recieved a funny look from the lady at the checkout counter the other day when trying to buy sewing needles, a lighter, alcohol swabs, and band-aids.

It was a beauty of a blister.

I've been told to just leave them if you can, 'cause they're sterile until you pop them.

Dunno. Whatever's more fun, I guess.

I learned this from an SF medic:

Sterilize a thin diameter needle (heat it), take a WHITE thread and then slowly run the needle all the way thru the blister (until the thread is half in/out of both sides). Leave it that way over night, the fluid will travel thru the thread and seep out. This allows the person the luxury of not popping the blister, keeping the protective cover over the raw spot.

Tincture of benzoine will sterilize the area (and make it tougher), but, it is NOT for the faint of heart.

Kel

I pop and protect.

Wow now that is very good info. I'll try that next time I get one.

What do you use to sterilize the thread first? alcohol?

I pop it with a needle, drain it and usually use peroxide to clean to clean the outside of the skin. I don't pull the skin off, however, until the internal skin has had a chance to heal. I've never had any problems and I've had quite a few over the years.

26+ years of running.. I've always popped 'em, leave 'em and keep runnin'.. they turn into a callus and you're good to go.

Mech, As long as the thread is white, you shouldn't need to sterilize it. That's why the use of colored thread is not suggested. If the thread is kept secure and clean it should not be a problem. The fluid is running out the thread (I assume the rules of osmosis/diffusion apply). However, if it was a concern, the alcohol could be applied to the thread and then let it dry and then apply the needle. coincidentally, my wife's boss (insurance agant), just took a trip to California and she walked off a blister (applied nothing to it, no neosporin nothing....) and when she came home it was so infected she is now in the hospital....she is older (early 60's), but very spry and such....I wonder if as one gets older one has to be more careful about such things as infections and stuff.... Kel

capillary action. the tincture of Benzoine , yeah not for the feint of heart, 8O