I am 46 years old and have intractable plantar keratosis but it's severe - there are about 25-30 of the 'tumors' on my feet and walking is extremely painful. I've had laser surgery to excise them, which didn't work - they all came back, they're now in clusters and the pain is worse. My current podiatrist cuts them with a scalpel every 2-3 weeks, which provides a small amount of relief. The podiatrist wants to surgically remove a few of the smallest ones. What causes this condition (no one in my family has it)? And is there any other treatment out there?

Intractable plantar keratosis may be a result of tight or poorly fitting shoes, or anatomical malformations at the metatarsal condyles. Wearing looser fitting shoes and the liberal use of insole cushions may help lessen the pain while walking. Soaking the feet in a warm foot bath may help soften the calluses and lessen the pain.

I think I have the same thing but it is definately not shoes or something from the outside that is causing the pain or the callusing. I have 1 callus that is extremely painful in the metatarsal area that feels like I have stepped on a piece of glass. At one time they thought it was a plantar wart. But it is definately not a wart because it keeps coming back. The only thing that gives me some comfort is using the blister beetle (hurts a lot when it blisters though). But at least I get relief for about 4-6 months. But my feet callus with absolutely no friction whatsoever. I have had the flu and been in bed for a whole weekend and after the weekend is over I have at least an 1/8 inch of callus on these spots. The next thing that they ask if I keloid which I don't. Should I see a dermatologist to see if this is an abnormal skin disease rather than a podiatrist because even though I have told them this they swear that the calluses are coming from friction. But I don't know where the friction is if my feet don't hit the floor. The only reason that I think this has started was a 60 pound weight gain in a 3 month period (before that my feet were fine). I am not over weight now. I was 95 lbs (even after having a baby) and when I reached 30 I got to 155lbs. I am 5'8" so I am not overweight and I do not want to be underweight for my feet to be better.

Help!!!