Hi, I am 17 years old female and recently I got staph infection in my mouth. The doctor advised me to take antiseptic solution for rinsing of my mouth. Should I take some antibiotic for treatment too? Wouldn’t it be more effective?

The bacteria Staphylococcus aureus causes conditions known as staph infections. These bacteria are commonly present and harmless on skin surfaces, mostly around the nose, mouth, genitals, and anus. When the skin gets broken for any reason, it is a chance for staph bacteria to enter the wound and this result as an infection. In treatment of local topical infection, your doctor has probably decided to use only superficial agent (antiseptic solution), because he finds your general health condition good and believes that, your immune system can defend from developing further infections of other organs. However, if you notice any progression of infection antibiotics can be considered.