Here’s my question. Since I’ve taken up swimming pretty recently and everything I do, I do it very neatly and meticulously, I think that I’m supposed to be acquainted with swimming terminology. I’m a recreational swimmer but I take training very seriously and I follow all the rules. Do you think that’s necessary and where can I find some kind of specialized vocabulary of swimming?

It’s great that you’re so avid and responsible, but I don’t see a point in trying to learn swimming terminology since you’re not going to use it professionally. I mean, there are several terms that you should know only in order to be able to ask what you don’t know and to understand the basics of swimming, but there’s really no need to try to learn and memorize words you’re not going to use in your everyday speech from a specialized vocabulary. Those words you should know refer to basic swimming techniques and you can easily find them in an ordinary thesaurus. So, don’t try to take everything so seriously and try to relax and enjoy in swimming.