Good evening, people. I would like to ask you something. My friend was diagnosed keratoacanthoma several days ago. I have heard that it is a benign skin tumor and that there is no reason to be worried. However, I would like to know how to treat this tumor. I will appreciate this piece of info very much.

Hello, there. If the diagnosis is properly put, then there is no reason to worry. Keratoacanthoma can go away without any treatment if it is left alone. But this takes several months and people often don't want to do that. Usually, this tumor is scraped away by a curette (an instrument that looks like spoon). After that, the area under is touched by cautery (hot point). This is all done with local anesthetics. The scraped specimen can be sent to the laboratory. In some cases, it can be treated with liquid nitrogen. If there is the doubt in diagnosis, the bump will be cut out and closed with stitches. In this way the specimen will be better prepared for pathology. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!