Hello! I am 38 years old woman and lately I started experiencing problems with my bones. They started to ache. At first I thought I was just tired of too much work and that I need rest but then they started even more. I got worried and I made an appointment at the clinic. Next week I am about to have a bone biopsy and I would like to know what it is for. Could there be something dangerous!

During the bone biopsy, a piece of bone is removed for laboratory examination and analysis. The procedure last for about 30 minutes. You will get anesthesia, and the doc will use a special drill or some other instruments to take a part from your bone. The procedure is done in order to distinguish between malignant tumors and benign bone disease such as osteoporosis and osteomyelitis. Results of this test are usually reliable, but can be omitted by failure to fast before open biopsy, failure to obtain an adequate specimen and delayed microscopic examination or laboratory analysis.