i think i have a hypertrophy of the labia and i dont no what to do or wether its common in 13 year olds (like myself) people say 2 wear baggy clothing or no pants but whatever clothing you wear it always rubs against something, wether it be clothing or mainly my legs.......nothing can solve it unless (and this may sound discusting) but what i do is to tuck the over sized labia inside the folds of skin, then it's fine. But what i'm worried about is not than men like it is that wether it affects other parts of the body.....breathing or things like this, i dont think so but i better check! Also is this serious and will it go away cos i dono wether 2 tell my mum cos i really dont want surgery atall, but i'm afraid it might be the only solution.

I know exactly how you feel.
It really hurts sometimes, and its too damn embarrassing to tell anyone. I do the same thing, tucking them up under the skin so that it doesn't hurt. But recently mine seem to be getting longer, and its starting to scare me. I hate the idea of surgery, but this is such a horrible problem. I want to get it but we don't have the money, really. I'm glad that people speak out here though. Reading that other girls have the same problem makes me feel better. :-)
some girls have really long ones but they don't hurt or get irritated. Why is that? Is it a mind thing? Will I get used to the discomfort in time? I really wish that was the case, I can't imagine living with this pain forever. If anyone has had irritation problems and "grew out of them", so to speak, I'd really like to know.

Hello, girls! I'm sad when I read your posts; it shows that there are still a lot of taboos regarding the female genitalia, even in our "modern", out-spoken times. I'm saying this because obviously people are still not aware of the great veriety of women and of the normal stages of developement within the human body, simply because we are ashame to talk about it still. It should be taught in school more about it. There are important and very noticeable changes in the shape/size of a female's genitalia, which are as visible as males' during puberty. There is nothing wrong with having large inner labia; the so called "hypertrophy" is nothing but a weird medical term that designates a well-defined, attractive p***y. Strangely I haven't heared of the term "hypetrophied breasts" (hope I spelled it well).That's how a normally developed vulva should look like. You don't need to worry, because they start developing at about 12-13. I am the same and I thought I had a "problem" because I didn't see any other girl to look like me "down there". Fortunately I got informed and I learned that there was nothing wrong, on the contrary. I also found out that men prefer a well-endowed vulva to a girlie one, and to me it makes sense. If you don't believe me, go to www.sexylabia.com and you'll see. As for surgery, well, I wonder if men would shorten their penises if they feel that they're longer than average... As for the disconfort, when I thought that there was something wrong with me, I kept inventing all sorts of things in my head, just to convince myself that there was something wrong indeed. I hope you'll make peace with your beautiful treasures.

i share your dilemma... im 13 too and im over here freaking myself out thinking guys wint like me...my mom laughs at me and im too embaressed to tell friends or my dad. my mom says after college i should get surgery... so maybe you should consider that. but for now... tuck tuck AWAY!! :-D

Indeed it would be easy for someone to say you are "too young" to be concerned with your labia or sex and should be enjoying your childhood.  However, if at this stage in your life you are experiencing pain or discomfort associated with the size of your labia, then how can you enjoy yourself?  With that said if it is strictly appearance, then you should not be so critical of yourself or obsess over what it looks like (compared to someone else, friends, etc.).  With time your body may catch up (if in fact the size is not relatively normal to the rest of your body).  Let nature take its course, appreciate your uniqueness and realize that what makes you different, makes us unique.  If you desire to alter your body surgically, make sure you do it for you to improve the quality of YOUR life, not because of what you believe others will think.  In the end, no one will care more about this area than you. 

Best wishes!

Vanessa Scott