I'm 19, and I have also been experiencing the same symptoms and have really been panicking...the other night I nearly went to the hospital with it and tonight I was breathing into a paper bag. I am constantly aware of my heartbeat and it also speeds up very noticeably and also my chest feels very tight and I find it hard to catch my breath which really frustrates me. I do smoke, but not heavily and I really don't think it's that, although when I told the doctor what I had been experiencing, he just really arrogantly told me that "maybe my body's trying to tell me to quit." I do find I'll just be sitting there and my heart rate will just shoot up, but I find I get it especially after having a meal, which a few other people have mentioned. I have been under a lot of stress over the past few weeks and people have told me that it may have been caused my that. I don't know but more than anything it's just annoying me now as isn't painful, just constant!!! Reassuring to know other people are getting it too, I thought I was the only one :-)

You are having panic attacks from general anxiety. The smoking isn't causing it. I smoked and then quit and still get panic at times. its very treatable. Regular exercise helps reduce the intensity of the attacks. Try not to drink caffeine for a few days and see if that helps, it always does with me. Breathing into a bag is good but a psychiatrist told me that putting a large paper bag over your head, even though sounds ridiculous, can help. It helps regulate the breathing, calm the person, and within ten minutes if the racing heart and tightness is not gone it will have at least been reduced. Also, in case this continues you should consult a doctor and/or a psychiatrist who can possibly get you a mediction to significantly help. Or just talk therapy alone can reduce stress, maybe venting to a friend or journaling your worries will get some of the anxiety out of you. good luck!!

Mate ... stop smoking ... I have smoked off and on for 20 years ... smoking causes so many "little" health problems its unbelievable ... if I smoke I have all sorts of little health problems .... if I dont smoke I feel much better ... I have had the same problem of panic attacks and heartbeat and tight chest ... Stop smoking and I start to feel better ...

Ok here's the real facts...
I am a smoker and it's a known fact that cigarettes are a stimulant. This means that smoking could be a culprit in assisting with anxiety.
Do NOT breath into a paper bag, yes it's effective but...the only reason this calms you down is the lack of oxygen and an increase of carbon dioxide, carbon dioxide is good for you but only in the natural levels that your body requires. Excess carbon dioxide can be toxic and in some cases fatal.
Talk to a professional and not these 'know it alls', they can go back to flawed information on Wikipedia while you get the correct information.
If you find yourself having panic attacks or the symptoms regularly them try this - when you feel it, try and force it to happen. Strangely enough this is how I over came them, you can successfully defeat panic attacks by facing the fear of having a panic attack.
If this doesn't work even though it should, see your doctor and demand treatment, you could possibly try velium, this is prescribed medication that will calm you down. Careful though, don't get dependent on them, and possible side effect could make you feel abit like a zombie.
Hope this is helpful

I know you wrote this over a yr ago, and I hope you have found help since then. Sounds like you have classic symptoms of tachycardia, a very common heart valve issue that causes your heart to suddenly beat fast. I have it and I had an ablation and it was the best choice I've ever made. Stress still causes me anguish, but my uncomfortable heart rate and constant attn to my heart beat has subsided majorly. Best wishes!