Hello there,

I just thought I should post about this topic, as a 23 year old panic attack sufferer for many years.

Firstly, yes I do still suffer from panic attacks and yes I still get the odd ambulance here and there thinking that I am truly about to die there and then on the spot!

I just want the people out there who think that they are alone not to worry as much because it only makes it worse. You know who you are, like me you think you are most certainly the only guy or girl in the entire world who could have possibly thought such stupid paranoid thoughts.

I'd like to say that once for a period of almost a year I was free of panic attacks completely, due to my lifestyle improving such as exercise, eating right and as hard as it was, not drinking alchohol!

But, recently 4 months ago in fact my partner of 4 years left me after our second child was born, she left me a note and she was gone, taking both of our children. Now, this sent me into a state of panic and paranoid thought deeper than I'd ever thought possible, although this wasn't true because every time a bad panic attack happened I believed that this was the one that will be sure to kill me (when obviously it really could not).

I'm trying to hit a number of issues all in one go here, as I still do suffer from severe anxiety and yet I can sit here confident and discuss this issue as though it does not affect me.

I have terrible emotional days, tears and tears for no apparent reason, the urge to just run up stairs and lay in a dark room and pray that the panic will go away. I have experienced everything and anything that a panic attack can provide as regards physical and mental symptoms.

I can't leave the house at all sometimes, but yet most people who know me find me to be the guy who sums up the word confident all in one go. It is strange but for some reason I do seem to be able to find it very easy to talk to anyone I meet. What I'm trying to say is that like some of you, we hide these issues and seem to keep them as secretive as possible.

For me now, most close people and of course my doctor all know about my panic attacks, some people laugh, why ? purely because they have never experienced the terrifying experience of losing your mind. I have found it best to only discuss the issue of panic attacks and anxiety with people you trust and know will help you.

Never bring it up with people you shouldn't, because you'll often get offended and hurt as people do make jokes about them when you explain the symptoms, for instance 'I thought I was having a stroke, thats why I called the ambulance' to us sufferers this is normal, we relate to one another, and I must admit that I feel so much better knowing that we are all in this together.

Unfortunately, the frightening fact for me is this, you know that no matter what anybody else says that you are alone in your own mind, full stop, that is true and will never change. After realising this yes, I was scared as hell. If you can accept that you and only you can experience whats going on in your own mind, then and only then will you make the step to getting over the panic.

No matter what anybody ever says to you, or no matter what you read, only you can do it, but you really really can (without medication may I add), I have before and I was suicidal, I really did not know what to do.

I haven't had a panic attack now since two days ago (I used to get them everyday, sometimes 3-4 times), why have they gone you may ask ?

I just realised that I know that I'm not crazy and I am starting to realise further that millions of others are the same as me, look around this forum, listen to other peoples stories and feelings, you will soon see that we are all human beings and no matter what we will experience the same emotions and symptoms, because our bodies all consist of the same vital components. So don't go thinking that that strange tingling in your legs or that feeling of complete insanity isn't normal, because it is.

Panic Attacks made me lose lots of weight, they made me think I had a million different illnesses before I could accept that really, all that was happening was complete and utter terror, of may I add, absolutely nothing!

Who knows, I probably will experience another panic attack, but it will probably be caused by my own stupidity, maybe go on a binge drinking session with the boys. Thinking that just a simple hangover is actually something more deadly and serious. Panic Atrack sufferers will get this feeling just like me, you believe that a simple headache means you have a brain tumour, etc.

Go back to the basics in your mind, think to yourself all the feelings and symptoms you've ever experienced and realise that they are all normal parts of life. Nobody is ever going to feel 100% all of the time, it's just when panic attack sufferers experience a change they basically s**t themselves to put it mildly.

Anyway, I could truly go on all night about this issue I really could, I just hope that this helps anyone out there who feels that this is the end for them because it's not and please believe me.

Suprisingly, I'm a DJ/Music Producer and I perform live on a regular basis and have done for a few years, how I've managed with panic attacks I don't know. The bottom line is this, don't let panic hold you back, because if you let it, it really will stop you from finding your full potential.

Thanks to anyone who read this, and please keep your sprits high, tomorrow really is a new day, it could be your day to get free of panic attacks too!!

Simon.

Simon just a simple two words to congratlate you WELL DONE!!

Best regards,
FROM MALTA

Simon you're article hit spot on with what I feel. I too am a 23 year old, but I got my first panic attack when I was 22 (about a year and 4 months ago). It was aboslutely terrifying but never happened again until about 6 months later. I started getting them everyday. My only problem is every doctor I've been to has settled with an ekg exam and some blood test to tell me it's just anxiety. Sometimes I do still feel like there may be something seriously wrong in my brain but no one seems to think so. My panic attacks haven't been a problem for me for a couple months now until a few days ago. I now notice sometimes when I'm sitting down for a while my leg will kinda twitch. Also before I fall asleep my hand or arm or leg will twitch and my boyfriend will wake me up and tell me about it. Could these twitches be caused by anxiety as well? Anyways, my thoughts and prayers go out you and everyone who experiences these terrifying feelings.

the tingly feeling in your legs and hands are common in panic sufferers due to a lack of carbon dioxide. breath out for 4 seconds slowly and breath in and hold your breath. also try a elastic band on your wrist when you feel a bit anxious or panic pull the band so it snaps on your wrist this will send signals to your brain and the panic will subside. cheers a fellow panic attack sufferer.

sy/g wrote:

Hello there,

Simon.

SY/G - Thank you posting all of this information. I have been dubbed a hypochondriac and it seems as though my PCP never believes anything I say anymore but I'm hoping all my manifestations are from anxiety and not that I'm dying from some rare disease. I will say that I'm going through pharmacy school and we learn alot of about disease states which only reinforces my fearful thoughts that I have one of many diseases since alot of them have overlapping symptoms. Anyway, I'm hoping this circulation problem (numbness in the face and extremities) as well as difficulty saying basic words during "attacks" is just a severe panic attack much like you've described here. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for this, higger. Any tips to help this disorder are welcome. How about any tips for an over active brain? How can we calm it down? This is the reason of our panic. We over think and as a result, become paranoid and all this thought activity manifests as physical symptoms.

Simon I'm 19 and i have had panic disorder sence i was 15 and want u have said describes me aswell i barley leave my house don't have a job think I'm going to die freaking out over the little things tried counciling medication i know the feeling