Hi, folks. My brother has been experiencing some problems with sleeping. I would like to help him with this. My colleague recommended me hypnotherapy as a possible solution. I would like to know if this kind of therapy is not just a placebo cure. What do you think about this? Bye!

Hello, there. I wouldn’t say that hypnotherapy is using placebo effect. Whenever something happen to us, we remember it. And even more than that, we learn how to behave in similar circumstances. We store info about this in our memory. We store both emotional, but also physical behavior for similar situation. In hypnotherapy, a therapist makes you to remember this situation. However, you also learn to separate this memory from unhealthy physical or emotional reaction. He teaches you to build a new, healthier response to this situation. I hope this helps.

Hi, everyone. I would agree that hypnotherapy is not a placebo effect. This therapist really makes you find out something new. During the first visit, a therapist will try to find out something more about the previous medical conditions. A therapist will explain how hypnosis works. He will show several relaxation techniques. Through new images, he will make your brother to adopt new behavior. This should all make in alleviating symptoms. I hope your brother will be better. Bye!

Hi, guys. Hypnotherapy can help with many conditions. I think that all those conditions that are related to anxiety and stress, respond well to this treatment. Some studies even show that hypnotherapy can increase the strength of immune system. It can decrease stress and ease the feeling of anxiety. It can even help with fear from medical procedures. Your brother should definitely talk to the hypnotherapist. He will find the details in that way. Good luck with all! Bye!

Hypnotherapy definitely works. However it could be argued that the placibo effect is a form of hypnotherapy. Hypnosis is based on using suggestion to achieve a desired outcome. A sugar coated pill can have quite a similar effect as the person receiving it believes the suggestions that this will help them. Both have the effect of the mind using its resources to make the physical changes necessary. So instead of asking whether hypnotherapy is a placibo, perhaps it is useful to turn this on its head and ask whether the placibo effect proves that hypnosis and suggestion work?!