I have been practising hypnotherapy for a while now and I have to admit that I am still very much a novice. I have helped a couple of my colleagues to quit smoking, and I even helped my wife's sister with her anxiety attack. There has been this person I have been attempting to help with depression though, and the thing is that I can't seem to get her into a hypnotic state at all? What is going on there? Is there such a thing as patients who are irresponsive to hypnotherapy?

Well yes, of course there is. I think the way that hypnotherapy works, a person will only go into a state of hypnosis if they are truly able to let go, and are willing to do this. Perhaps the person you are trying to treat is no ready to be helped with the problem they are experiencing, or perhaps you are simply not doing the hypnosis right. Can you check if she will go into hypnosis with another hypnotherapist?

They have to let you lead them if they do not open up and let you they cannot achieve a hypnotic state.