Ive tried quitting smoking so many times and even if I do manage to quit for a few months I always go back to the old habit. As if smoking has some invisible power over me and I cant help it. Most of the time I just quick cold turkey but now Im thinking about using another techniques. I heard that hypnotherapy may be used in smoking cessation and I wanted to see if this were true.

The power you mention is called addiction. Smoking causes both physical and mental addiction. I did some reading about hypnotherapy and smoking when I was trying to quit and I learned that the studies done on this kind of treatment and smoking cessation showed that there was not enough good evidence to show that hypnotherapy can or cant help people who are trying to quit smoking. Different approaches are used in hypnotherapy for smoking cessation. One approach would be to weaken people's desire to smoke, another to strengthen their will and third to help them concentrate on a quitting program. Not everybody is a good candidate for hypnotherapy and it is also not known whether hypnotherapy would be a long-term solution or just a quick fix.