I had my hammertoe surgery on the second last toe of my left foot on 21st July 2009 and have had several follow up check with my doctor who said I was progressing normally. On the 14th day my stitches was removed and I was told to wear my 'post-op shoes' for another week after which I can go back to normal shoes. As of yesterday 19 days after my surgery, 09th August I tried walking in my hush puppies 'flip flops' to work (I have a desk job, so not much walking is needed) As the day went by the pain just kept creeping in. By the end of night my toe was swollen and I was in a lot of pain. I was compelled to pop a pain killer to subside my pain a little and to put me to sleep. This morning I was still in a little pain but I can’t walk in anything except my post op shoes. :'(

Just wanted to know is this normal , as I had not used my foot for a long time. Oh and the doctor never gave me a course of an antibiotics? I am really scared and not sure what to expect. ?

Hi there, if you are still experiencing pain after the surgery, that can be normal but if it's at the point where you're supposedly able to wear shoes but still cannot without pain, you should talk to the doctor about it because it doesn't sound like you're progressing as he might be expecting. Can you follow up with him? I'd definitely recommend it. Let me know what you think, okay?