I had my spleen removed during bariatric surgery because the surgeon accidentally ruptured my spleen.  The surgery was in 2010 and I still have pain in that area quite often.  My surgeon says if I see another doctor about the pain he will drop me as a patient. Why would my spleen area still hurt and what tests can I have to find out what is causing the pain?

Hi Melody,

A big RED flag is your doctors threats of dropping you.  Right there that is cause for concern.  No doctor should feel threatened by someone having a second opinion.

Sometimes nerves get injured or trapped, even with bariatric surgery.  You'd need an evaluation to determine if that is what has happened.

I suspect your doctor is afraid of a malpractice suit from his damaging your spleen in the first place.  You might consider speaking to a lawyer if you haven't already done so.  In addition, you might consider contacting the board of registration regarding the doctors demeanor.

Quite frankly the "drop you" statement is alarming.

My spleen was removed in 1975 due to a car accident involving my mother, my aunt (who was at the ti.e pregnant with twins. Both babies were still born). I have a scar from the middle of my stomach down to my navel. It itches at times and I still feel pain every now and then even though its been 41 yrs since my spleen was removed.