I just had my gall bladder removed 3 days ago and i haven't been able to go to the bathroom #2 yet....I have eaten fruits and veggies and i try and stay away from fatty foods granted ive eaten a couple things with fat ... i have a lot of gas..and i feel bloated.. and drink a lot of water to flush my system... and i just took an ex lax but nothing seems to work ... i dont know what i can do or what might be causing this or if it is common not to go to the bathroom for a while ... please write back asap!

Gas and bloating is very normal after gallbladder surgery. They pump your abdomen up with air during surgery, that air has to go somewhere!! I had my gallbladder out last wednesday and it took a full 3 days to have a bowel movement. Give it a day or two more, if nothing happens, contact your dr.

I had my gall bladder out and for awhile It was normal and than

I poop aleast 12 times a day

i had my gallbladder out and i cant stop pooing its up too 20 times per day going too the toilet its mad wish id never had it out cos i still get pain like before the op docs dont know whats up ????

same here always running to the bathroom - many times during the day - can be right after I eat or several hours later. It can range from an inconvenience to DISASTER!!! I should weigh 100 pounds...but not losing any weight!!!

I've had several problems after GB surgery Nov. 2007. Almost a year now and I have never strained so hard in my life to take a dump, even with Miralax AND a stool softener together. Doc said I am highly unusual (duh!). However, since that surgery on a few occasions I have had "ghost" GB pains lasting anywhere from 1 hour to 12 hours. NOT FUN. I am concerned about pancreatitis. For you alcohol lovers, (like myself) you need to know that alcohol + pancreas = TROUBLE. What I find puzzling in myself, though, is this past week. For some reason, I drank 2 beers on Thurs., 3 on Fri., 4 on Sat. and 4 on Sunday. NO PROBLEMS. Come Monday morning, FELT GREAT!!!! Tuesday morning about 10:00 was the worst post GB removal attack I have ever had that lasted 12 hours and left me exhausted and sore beneath my right shoulder blade. Wed. was still sore. Thursday again FELT GREAT (no alcohol since Sunday) but last night (Thurs) had another milder attack that lasted 2 hours. Today I feel weepy and tired. DOES ANY OF THIS SOUND FAMILIAR??? HELP!!!

Okay, it's been a while since everyone posted. I now find myself in the same situation - completely unable to... that... following laparoscopic gallbladder removal surgery. I just popped two maximum strength Ex-Lax, but nothing came out since Tuesday (it's Saturday right now). I feel like a bottomless garbage can right now wondering WHEN it will all come out.

So, when did you all finally... that... ?

Guest wrote:

It's funny that you are having this issue (funny as in strange, not funny as in comedy) because I know that a lot of people who have the surgery complain that they have to go to the bathroom all the time. It's unfortunate because you're clearly suffering from this issue but then others have no complaints but that they go to much. I think that if you continue to eat fiber and just eat as normal then you should be okay. But do see a doctor if you haven't had a movement in over a week. Keep me posted okay?

So I had my GB Surgery on 2-10 it's now 2-12 and I have not had to poop at all. I'm starting to get worried I'm eating alot but nothing is going on down there... Should I take a laxitive or just wait and see what happens ?

I had my gallbladder removed about 1 and a half months ago. Right after surgery I was good and even fine going home. The next week was hell! I am not very consistant on having bowel movements. Sometimes I will go every 2 days, sometimes every 4-5, so when I had not gone for a week after having my gallbladder removed I was NOT concerned. Oh my goodness I wish I would have been! I went right up to 3 weeks without having a bowel movement. I finally felt like I needed to go and got semi-excited! I went into the bathroom and was literally in there for 4 hours with NO results. I have NEVER strained so much in my life. It felt like it was right there but not coming out. I began cramping and hurting so much in my lower abdomenan, I just needed to lay down. I took a pain killer that I was prescribed to after having my gallbladder removed because it was dreadful. After that kicked in it was a bit better. I didn't sleep any that night or the following day. I was laying on the bathroom floor in so much pain and decieded to call the doc. He told me to take Miralax 2 times a day, but I don't think he understood the severity of my pains and concern. I tried Miralax with no results. The next day after bawling all night because of pain I deceided to go to the ER. The doc there then did a rectal exam which broke up a bit of the poop and I was able to go about half of a teaspoon afterwards. Not relieved of my pain at all they did x-rays that showed the poop was clear up into my side, almost into my chest. I was literally full of poop. He said rectal exam was the only cure, but it was sooo painful because my bottom was so sore from straining. I let him do one more exam, with no results afterwards I was seriously ready to give up and DIE! He sent me home and told me to try Fleet Supposetorys and Enemas. Tried them all. Twice. Nothing. Went back to the emergency room at 3 a.m. He gave me pain medication to keep my comfortable and it worked for about an hour. I was then in extreme pain yet again. The doc decided to admit me. I was so excited because I figured they would fix my problem now! I was wrong. They began doing Fleet and soap and water enemas with no results. Also Miralax was givin to me every two hours. I then began going uncontrolably what seemed to be liquid poop. It was gross. I had to be cleaned up every 30 minutes including my bedding. I was still in sooo much pain. The poop xrayed to be the size of 2 softballs and was not breaking up. I guess the liquid was just the new poop venturing down and leaving my system. I still had no relief. We are now on day 4 people! No more pain medicine because they said that constipates you even more. They were finally forced to put me to sleep and clean out my system manually. This was the best idea EVER! I woke up and have never been sooo relieved in my entire life! I felt reborn! I was me again! I went home the following day and I have been pooping about 10-15 times a day now. I figured it was all of the miralax that was in my system but it's been 2 weeks now so I would say it's the result of having my gallbladder removed. It's more than fine with me! I would rather it come out constantly then stay and build up. I have also lost 15 pounds from everything going right through me. I hope this story helps everyone! I just wish they would have thought of this sooner. If this every happens to anyone, suggest the idea of anestesia. I swear it's the only relief you will have. Also, don't take pain meds after having your gallbladder removed. It will only constipate you more.

I am having the same issues, since I have had my gal bladder removed I have eaten a burrito, big mac and fries, grilled cheese, some yogurts, some bananas, some cereal, plenty of juice and much more that I am probably forgetting. But NO POOP! Now before surgery I had fasted for two days and then while in the hospital they forbid me to eat for another two days equaling a total of 4 days with no food. Not sure what this could mean, just thought I would let you know someone out there is having the same problem.

. Question is i had my gal bladder removed monday it is saturday and not been able to do a poo yet.so what do i do about this????

having also sharp pain when i go to do a deep breath,burp, or cough, it is like a sharp stick where the gal bladder was.

i didn't get gas shoulder pain and took my meds,hotwaterbottle,and try to eat normal.walk around and do normal daily stuff. no problem,

the side pangs of sharp pains though when will this go away???? my liver,etc is normal and i am 41 years old. I was diagnosed with whopping cough just before my operation.

1. General anesthesia for major surgery switches OFF your GI tract.  It starts to work again very slowly, gradually, and you can't force it.  Clear liquids and advance only as tolerated.  Paralytic illius is as equally painful as a gb or pancreatic attack.
2. Narcotic pain relievers help to constipate you, and are best taken with stool softeners.
3. Post GB removal digestive systems are forever changed.  If you had a crappy diet before, continuing it will surely kill your other organs eventually.  Reports state that the colon is the next to suffer.  If you had a good diet and crappy genetics, sorry, something else will probably turn up, so count your blessings now and keep making good choices, dietary and otherwise.
3.5. BM habits vary greatly.  If you usually have a BM every day it will be OK if it takes 3 days to go after surgery (post-op), short of pain and other severe symptoms. You should start a stool softener the day before and a laxative the day after.  Keep in touch with your body especially if you have to take meds that can constipate you.
4. Dietary habits vary greatly.  If you eat large amounts you will have larger, more frequent BMs.  If the food has high fat or other content that depended on the extra bile acids to break-down, then guess what, not as much will be processed and it will go right through you.

I'm on day 4 post-op lap chole.  It's been interesting and more memorable than the days immediately following my nephrectomy a few years ago.

There could be more to consider, depending on your own individual situation.
Thanks,
Keith Edward Bellisle

Is there NO on out there that has a GOOD testimony of GB surgery! How many horror stories of u cant take a c**p! or crapping too much! For crying out loud there are millions of surgeries in this world...just ONE good testimony plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

eat albran and coffee and then have a go it worked for me 7days later and normal since:-)