I had laparoscopic gall bladder removal two weeks ago and have been experiencing quite severe shoulder pain for several days.  Is this normal?

I had gallbladder surgery Dec 6th 2011, I didn't have any stones just a diseased gallbladder that was functioning 7%. I thought for the longest time that I had acid reflux, would get bitter stuff coming up in my throat and nauseated all of the time.  Well after I had the surgery which was complicated because everything was swollen and infected. Drs. told me that my pancreas, liver and spleen were inflamed and swollen. She stated that everything should be back to normal within 6 wks post op.. It's been nearly 3 months and now she said there is a possibility that my spleen might possibly need to be removed if the swelling doesn't go down.. Has anyone ever heard of a non functioning gallbladder causing these problems??? Thanks in advance.

Hey. I just had my gallbladder removed 6 days ago. My surgeon said that it is normal to have some shoulder pain. I've had it as well and let me tell you, it does suck pretty bad. The reason for the pain is because during the procedure, they put gas in your abdomen to swell everything up so they can actually get to the gallbladder (since it is behind the liver). This gas escapes your body but sometimes it gets stuck and can be painful. Right after surgery, I passed a lot of gas which helped get some of it out. But they urge you to walk around a lot, that should help too. It's helped for me. I still have pains sometimes, especially when I go to lay down. But since it has been bothering you for a while, I'd say ask your doctor just in case. Hope that helps Marilyn. :-)

did you find why you had the shoulder pain?