I have swelled up like a woman 8 months pregnant and am being told it's the result of irritable bowel syndrome. I am in shock and am questioning the diagnosis. I didn't know ibs could be so debilitating and disfiguring - and why start NOW?? I am a 58 yo woman, of normal weight and thought I was healthy until this started about 9 months ago. It seemed to come out of nowhere. I am exhausted and don't feel like myself at all anymore.

Thus far I have had a ct scan, bloodwork, fecal cultures, an endoscopy, abdominal xrays, an ultrasound and a colonoscopy. :x I have a barium enema scheduled in 6 days. :( I am MISERABLE. I swell more as the day goes on, there is abdominal pain, some nausea and a feeling of being an overly full water balloon. I haven't been my normal size abdominally since last fall.

Am I alone in this? Any thoughts or suggestions?? :idea:

Since you haven't heard about what to do about IBS from your doctor, you definitely need to do that.

However, many people have found a lot of relief from gastrointestinal diseases and disorders by switching to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. This eliminates grains and certain carbohydrates that can cause gastrointestinal problems. Talk to your doctor about this diet. A fantastic cookbook for this diet is "Grain-free Gourmet," by Jodi Bager and Jenny Lass.