Hello! I just have started with 10 mg of Phentermine. I was wondering if anyone of you had good results with this dosage. On the other hand, I should need higher dose. I never took any prescription for weight loss drugs. I am anxious or better said excited. What can I expect with Phentermine? Thanks for any advice.

Hi. I have used Phentermine and from my experience, I can tell you that you may get nervous and not be able to sleep. You could lose weight but not permanently. It seems to come back as soon as you stop taking drug. That is what happened to me even if I was trying to lose only 10 lbs.

I have been on phentermine for the past 2 months. I had gained much more weight than I had realized before I got on this medication. When my size 12s got to where I could not button them anymore, I had it. I went to a weight lose clinic and they weighed me and gave me the medicine (phentermine 37.5) I cold not believe how much I weighed. I was 174 lbs at 5'6. My biggest problem was overeating, and eating all the time. I started on the pills and it really made me not as hungry. I started to eat less, and I started to eat better, more fruits and veggies. I started to work out about 5 tiimes a week too. I did not really have trouble sleeping, but that is different for everyone. I started by taking a half pill, then after a couple weeks started to take a while one. A month later I went back in to weigh and I had lost 16 pounds. I was down to 158. I am about to go back to the clinic at the end of this week. On my scale I am now at 146. My goal was 150, but I have changed it to 140. That would put me in a size 8 and I would be so happy. I am scared however that as soon as I get off the pills I will gain it back. I guess I will just have to keep up my exercise routine and continue to eat right. But it really did help me loose the weight.

Beckmunns, thank you for contributing your experience with this medication. Personally, I think that it's better to try to lose sustainable weight without using medication, but so long as you can make lifestyle changes with diet and starting to incorporate exercise into your daily routine then you should be okay. Overeating is usually not because of hunger but instead is an emotional response to your surroundings so it can be hard to curb. The suppressant works as a good supplement. Is that what anyone else has found?

I do think the medicine helped me kickstart my weight loss. I had tried many many times before to loose weight, but after a few days I went right back to my old eating habits. With the appetite suppressant I did not feel the need to eat when I was not hungry, and I found myself not wanting to eat all the greasey fried food, but wanting more fruits and veggies. I have tried to not take the pill every day now, and I find that I have now gotten in the habit of eating healthier, and not overeating. I would not rely on an appetite suppresent for long term use because I do agree that it is not good for you. It just gave my the modivation I needed to loose those first "hard to loose" pounds, and help me develop a new lifestyle change with eating better and exercise. :-D

I have just started taking phentermine for weight loss. After the 2nd or 3rd day, I developed a horrible body odor. When I stopped the phentermine a day it started to dissipate. This am I took a 1/2 tab and the odor is back and stays all day . It is unpleasant, not fruity, acetone, etc.. More musty or like a wet rusty can. Has anyone had this problem? This med is helping the appetite an hate to give it up.
Thanks! susan

That's really unfortunate but yes I have heard as to problems like that that you're speaking of. Unfortunately, I think you may need to look for another weight loss drug or endure the scent. Let me know how you are doing, okay? And let me know what you think.

you should take it early in the morning so that you will be able to sleep at night. i once went to bed for less than 3 hours and couldn't go back to sleep after i was awaken by a phone call. the medication curbs your appetite so you actually do lose weight. the weight comes back when you cannot curb your appetite after stopping the medication unless you can stick to boiled or steam food minus all the fats and grease. lots of willpower or it'll just be back.

forgot to add that you might have feel heartburn so remember to drink loads of water. your mouth might stink too, i suck on sweets to alleviate the dryness of the mouth, menthol works best.

My doctor has suggested phentermine to me for a few years. I am an emotional eater. I have tried everything to lose weight and when I cheat on whatever current eating plan I am on I beat myself up mentally and feel like a failure. I finally gave in about 2 months ago and started taking phentermine under my doctor's care. This medication has been a Godsend! It gave me control. Control to stay on plan. Control to stop my emotional eating. Control to develop good eating habits and make healthy food choices. Control to start and maintain a regular exercise program (which I was surprised I enjoyed). When I started to physically see changes in my body and when old clothes that haven't fit in years began to fit, and when friends started commenting that I looked great, it made up my mind about phentermine. Phentermine is a great tool to help some people lose weight and relearn healthy eating patterns. My doctor will not give it to you unless you see a dietician and you agree to exercise for at least 45 minutes 5 times per week. I don't think that people who think that taking medication to help with your appetite is 'an easy way out' have any idea of how difficult it is to control emotional eating. And how emotional eaters feel like complete failures a lot of the time. I have started to see a therapist to help me keep that habit from coming back. I think if this medication is used properly and with a doctor closely following you, you will be fine. I was told it was considered very safe if used properly, with less than 2 per 2.5million users experiencing serious problems. With that said, I do get side effects: I am thirsty constantly, funny taste in mouth, sleeplessness for the first few weeks, it exacerbates my panic issues which gets worse during monthly hormonal cycles, it sometimes causes heartburn, my appetite is so suppressed that sometimes I will start to feel a bit ill and I have to think about when and what I ate last, normally I just need to eat something and drink a big glass of water. Most recently I have become more aware of scents. I only take it every other day at this point, sometimes skipping 3 or 4 days because I just don't need it because I have developed good habits thanks to phentermine. In a nutshell: It takes the 'sexiness' out of food and gives you control back which can be a great self-esteem booster. But this medicine is not for everyone and should be carefully considered and discussed with your personal doctor. Nor is it a 'miracle drug', the weight won't come off just because you're taking phentermine. You still have to eat a healthy low fat, low calorie diet and exercise in order to lose the weight. No chocolate cake for you, but the good news is, you will now have your brain functioning properly so you can make a healthy choice to either not eat the chocolate cake or - something I could never do before phentermine - eat only a bite or two and then walk away from the chocolate cake. Liberating and empowering!!

Wow, everyone, glad I found this post. And, texasmama, yours really helped because it mentioned your heightened sense of scent, which I have and thought I was going a little crazy.

I'm on a combination of Phentermine and Topamax. The combination of the drugs (very low dosages) has decreased my appetite, but along with that has come a decrease in my thyroid activity which my body is responding to by shutting down its processes. My metabolism has slowed, my gastrointestinal system has slowed, resulting in stomach pain, fatigue and constipation, slowing down the weight loss and keeping me from having the energy to excercise. Depression is another side affect.

I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones who is experiencing quite a few of the lesser seen side affects of both drugs in addition to the more common ones.

But as many of you already mentioned, the drugs have helped me get over the initial hump of getting that healthy start and sticking to a positive track. So I'm still fighting to stay with it. I have lost about 20 and have another 20 to go.

Thanks for the thread and the contributions.

Joan

I started taking Phentermine last week. I hadnt been to the gym in a week. After my first 3 days on the diet pill i went to the gym for weigh in and lost 3 pounds in 3 days. weighed in again a couple days later and had lost 5 pounds in the first 6 days. I started back with my trainer and weigh in on Monday so i am very interrested to see how much i have lost in the last 7 days :-)

I started taking Phentermine 1 1/2 week ago and I feel great I am trying to lose weight since I was 16 years old  and now I am 49 years old and overweight again since I had my first and only child. I am from Germany and moved here in 1999. I was 159 lbs not skinny but I felt good. I met my husband here in the US and I had a family 2 years later since than I was gaining weight. With me beeing 9 month pragnant in 2002 I weight over 240 lbs after I had my son I went back down to 213 lbs. In 2010 I was trying to lose weight again and went down to 191 lbs and I could not go under the 190 lbs mark. I tried and tried my body is so messed up from me trying to lose weight over the last 30 years. So a friend of mine told me that she is taking Phentermine and how great she feels and all that. So I went to my docter and she new my problems with my weight, she wanted to put me on Phentermine 2 years ago but I was scared. But since I am on Phentermine I am a totally diffrent person. I don't think about eating all the time. I finally can say NO if someone offers my food that is not good for me. I can make so much more healthier food choices now. I don't get the chocolate cravings anymore. I do have some of the side effects like dry mouth and body ordor but I drink more water and shower more. We will see how it goes I have to go back to my doctor on Thursday for a check up and weigh in. I weight myself at home before I started taking Phentermine I weight almost 199 lbs a week later I was down to 192 lbs. My goal is 135 lbs so I have ways to go.

IM 30 years old.when i decided its time for a baby I gain lots of weight before i was even expecting. i was 206lb (Im only 5.2in)in the end of my due date and blood pressure problem. I woke up 2 months ago looking at myself realizing that instead of doing something about it im getting depressed. the fact that Hated shopping and buying new clothes ...no matter what I bought I still wasnt happy...nothing would make me feel better.I never was skinny but I weight 121lb at one point...it took me 7 years to get where im at 181lb 5f2in tall.bad back problems cuz Im realy chesty too .legs pain every night(taking pain killers so I can sleep) Im think bad blood circulation.So first month I started diet (no sugar,no red meat,no carbs) lost 12lb.yay! second month I started running EVERYDAY just watching what I eat.my stomach shrank at this point.lost another 10lb.Then I had over 2 weeks I wasnt loosing a lb.I guess I was building muscles in my legs which is good but i wanted see result on my scale.Im running now 2,5-3,5 mile a day. 5 days a week only.NOW to end my long story with a question.I started taking Phentermine 3 days ago to motivate me more...IM now 158lb aand weight is going down again 3 days 2lb.BUT!!!! Im little worried because I do not feel like eating at all. yesterday I ate 2 apples and I just got so busy I forgot to eat>>I woke up 2am and decided to drink my high protein shake to feed my muscles...I dont want to get too weak ...I like my running habit.I never had breakfast before it always was only coffee,....it makes me sick when I think of food...I know i need to eat I dont feel like it whatsoever! maybe the dose is too big??? im taking 30mg...I dont know what to do..should I stop taking it? IS it ok If I just drink my shakes? tell me please how you feel so far

>>>>>sorry for such a long story ...

Hello, how much weight can I expect to lose with phentermine? I weigh 161 and I'm 5'2...thanks!