Hello. I am 37 and married to a man with acute pancreatitis. He is an alcoholic. I need some advise on how to go about getting him to quit. I do not want him to die. He is 42 and has drank beer and even harder for over 25 years. This past July he spent 9 days in the hospital with a bad case of pancreatitis. He was told the same thing drink and die . He did good for 2 months and then I suspected he was drinking behind my back and then would lie. I know I nag him and tell him I will leave him. I just need to understand why he wont get help and choose to live. I hate to say it but I pray to god he gets a mild flare up that will send him back to hospital and get a reality check. Like tonight he blames him not coming home and drinking because of me. Now this started before I even got upset. The drinking anyway. So what do I do. I am a nurse and I know what will happen to him. Its not fair to me that he is going to die at a early age if he continues drinking. Do I try and stop loving my best friend. I am so torn about how to help him. I have tried everything. ive been patient and understanding to mad and just down right angry. He doesnt get what it is doing to me. And also when he goes to hospital it costs so much $$. He has no insurance right now. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! What can I do to get him to quit and choose a long life with out alcohol. Its going to kill him....

He needs a 12 step AA process. He's an acoholoc, he can't just quit cold turkey. He need professional help.

ZekeZ wrote:

Quote:

How do I get him to go? He thinks he will become a holly roller.. Not sure if it is a pride thing or what. I am not sure how to help him. I guess he has to be the one that wants to quit. Just pray before it kills him. Thanks for the reply.

hi my name is leah. I am having the same problem with my husband that you are having.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** ***
private e-mails not allowed***
Please read our Terms of Use 
and let me know if anything you have done is working because my husband is in the hospital right now with acute pancreatitis and I don't know what to do. He is slowly killing himself with the alcohol. Please write me.

My son, who is 42, was diagnosed with diabetes last summer because of alcohol destroying his pancreas, but he still drinks. I am wondering what other damage he is doing to himself because of continued alcohol use?