i wonder if you can help me. i have a sister-in law who suffers greatly from schuermanns. i find there isn't much out there about this disease. i've read it affects pubescent boys mainly, and she was diagnosed when she was 40. i wonder if poor nutrition can be a contributing factor to this disease? she is about 100 lbs. on a good day. she has always had issues with eating. she is anorexic, but not bullemic as far as i know. she is being treated with oxycontin and percocet. lots of it. it is my fear that the drugs have taken over and have diminished any thought of persuing any sort of healthier treatment such as surgery or physical therapy. is there any sort of disc replacement procedure that would help her? something needs to be done. no-one can talk to her about this, she is so driven to convince all around her that theres nothing else she can do. at this point she's a full blown addict, and it kills me to watch her slowly kill herself. can you please tell me more about this disease and any options that are out there for treatment besides top shelf opiates? thanks!

Scheuermann’s disease is a type of kyphosis and is related to abnormal development of the vertebrae. Early diagnosis is the most important. I think that pain killers are just additional therapy but, this is disorder that can be successfully treated. Brace is made for patients and should be worn 23 hours a day, but it is more common to work in immature patients. Physical therapy and strengthening exercises are required along with pain medications. But if all this fail, surgery is the option that left. I suggest you to ask your physician about possibilities of the surgery. There is number of techniques that are successfully performed in kyphosis in adults. I guess that there must be something that could be done for your sister-in –law. Just should not wait any longer and take her to physician.

I have 72 degree shuermanns. I too an being treated with oxycontin. Let me tell you.....There is more to this disease than meets the eye of someone who doesn't suffer from it. I have went into 3 separate surgery consults. They all say that the benefits do not outweigh the risks. There is a significant risk of paralysis and a neurological catastrophe as in their words. Lamens terms.....Wheelchair time and brain damage. The surgeries that have been preformed are relatively new and have not been perfected to any degree. I was told by all 3 surgeons that the most I could expect to receive out of this multi-level re constructive surgery is about 10% pain alleviation. Which mean that it, at best, would take away 10% of my pain. The benefit of that does not warrant the risks of having the surgery. I have been suffering from this disease for over 6 years. I have yet to find a doctor that has a positive outlook for my future.