My father is 63 years old and he has just been diagnosed with diabetes. Unfortunately, he has a decent amount of extra weight and I guess this was inevitable. Anyway, I have heard that antihistamines and insulin both can cause increased appetite. Is that true? He takes antihistamines for his allergy.

Well, I know that today many people, who are into body building professionally, use insulin, in order to increase their appetite. I would not call that a very smart thing, but that fact tells us that insulin really increases the level of appetite, which is a bad thing, especially for those who suffer from diabetes. But, you can't do much; monitor your father's condition and hope for the best.

actually insulin is injected to increase glucose into the muscles in response to exercise, increase glycogen stores. they do not do it to increase appetite. in fact when they are 'cutting' they say they follow a ketogenic diet for three days then glucose load when getting ready to compete because it makes their muscles and veins bulge from the insulin surge from the high carb meal just before compeitition. so they said on body building sites and documentary I watched. chronically high insulin in my experieince decreases appetite over time, many times your hungry but dont feel it the only thing you feel is hypoglycemic, and a vague hunger when your sugars start to go to low for what hte body needs or is accumstomed to increased appetite is usually a sign of lower insulin levels (especailly earlier in the day) insulin resistance causes the need for higher gluocse levels to overcome the resistance at the brain level hence you can have hypoglycemia symptoms without the numbers being lower than considered normal. hyper glycemia is the body's tactice to over come the resistance by sheer volume.