does intercourse affect period? if yes then how??

Dear Ignorant

Intercourse itself does not directly affect your period. However, if you get pregnant it most likely will. Sometimes when intercourse has taken place unexpectedly or inappropriately there is stress and tension, and this can delay a periods onset.

Your period arrives a fortnight after ovulation when fertilisation and implantation has not taken place. This is because your body no longer needs the preparation it has made for pregnancy.

But why do you ask?

Before you engage in intercourse, you need to know how your body works and all the implications of sexual activity. If you need more information and help, please ask. Privately if you prefer.

Hope this helps as a start.

thanks sheperd999,
we(with my boyfriend) did have a few intercourse,but i know the hymen wasn't affected as there wasn't any bleeding within 4days..so,i can be sure that the delay in period is just due to stress and tension,no?

"so,i can be sure that the delay in period is just due to stress and tension,no?" No you can't be sure yet.

Your post now puts your question in a different context from that which I had inferred.

1. "we(with my boyfriend) did have a few intercourse" If you have had intercourse, then there is a risk of pregnancy. The extent of that risk will depend on the dates of sexual activity and the dates of your last two period starts. What are those dates?
  2. "i know the hymen wasn't affected as there wasn't any bleeding within 4days" Lack of bleeding does mean your hymen has not been affected. Was this your first time sex?
  3. "there wasn't any bleeding within 4days" - so was there any bleeding?
  4. "bleeding within 4days" - what was the significance of the mention of 4 days?
  5. "the delay in period" when was it due?

1.its a 4-day delay after a month from last period.period genarally happens monthly for me.
2.like i said..a few..
3.no,there wasnt any bleeding
4.just in case

I am trying to find out exactly what your question means, but you are only answering half my questions with half answers!

I infer from your statements that your period was due 14th Dec if it was delayed 4 days on 18th Dec. That would indicate that you probably ovulated 30 Nov. If so, you would have possibly been fertile from 25th to 30th Nov. So if you had sex in that period you could be pregnant.

1. Was your period due 14th Dec?
  2. Is your cycle usually 30 days?
  3. Did you have sex on the days from 25th to 30th Nov?
  4. What exactly did you mean in your comment about the hymen?

now you are scaring me sheperd!!last period was around 12th,and yes the cycle is usually 30 days. There wasn't any sex between 25th to 30th. In fact,we didn't have any before the 4th dec.what i meant earlier,that the hymen didn't break as there wasn't any sort of bleeding and excessive pain.please say it's all okay.

I'm not meaning to scare you, but trying to establish what happened and when it happened. So let me review the situation.

1. Your last period started 12th Nov? Not 14th?
    • You said your period was 'around 12th'. you need to keep track of the start dates!
  2. Your cycle is usually 30 days
  3. That means your next period was due 12th Dec (8 days ago)
  4. Ovulation would then have been expected 28th Nov
  5. You were a virgin until 4th Dec when you had your first-time sexual intercourse
  6. You were not on the pill and he did not use a condom
  7. He ejaculated inside your vagina
  8. On this basis you could not get pregnant from sexual intercourse from 4th Dec

Is all this correct?

Lets look at other scenarios.

1. Ovulation is not dependent on the previous period. Rather ovulation determines the next period. A period usually occurs about a fortnight after ovulation. So if you ovulated a week later, you would have had sex on a fertile day. That could lead to pregnancy.
  2. As pregnancy comes from sperm entering the vagina, were there any ways (other than his penis) to get sperm into your vagina? Did you get semen (or pre-cum) on your fingers and then masturbate? Did he similarly finger you? You could get pregnant from that.
  3. You may have just missed a period. That sometimes happens.

The fact that there was no bleeding does not mean that the hymen did not break. But it could have broken before. But that is not a significant factor.

You could take a HPTest to see whether you are pregnant. What are the implications? Where do you live?

So to re-state the questions:

1. Were you a virgin before 4th Dec?
  2. Did you use any form of contraception?
  3. What other sexual activity has there been since mid Nov?
  4. Where do you live?
  5. How old are you?
  6. What are the personal, cultural or religious implications?

1.yes,i was.
2.no,i didn't.
3.there wasnt anything unusual in november.
4.don't you think this data shouldn't be given here?
5.21years.
6.what does it mean?

there wasn't anything like the 2nd scenario that you've mentioned. my bf is pretty sure that no sperm did enter in my vagina. Now,please tell me it's fine.

@ above, there is nothing sure like sperm did not enter. It could have. Did you use a protection ?

Asking where you live was only to find the general location. This is often given out here. Certainly your postal address should not be revealed, but I was after the country or state or area. I am trying to help, but you are very secretive about what happened. If you don't want to give out information in public, you can private message me, which is what a number of people have done. You should only release information you are comfortable with releasing, but withholding information may impact on the quality of advice you receive! Private messages are monitored by SteadyHealth for your safety (and mine!)

You said: "my bf is pretty sure that no sperm did enter in my vagina". If it is the case that "no sperm did enter in my vagina", then you cannot get pregnant. But I don't think he can be absolutely sure. Pre-cum can contain sperm!

The personal, cultural or religious implications question was to assess the situation you are in, and what other help might be available. Family, cultural or religion responses to pre-marital sex or pregnancy may have an impact on you.

The way you expressed your situation gives the impression you are uncertain about the workings of your reproductive system, and that you were not altogether comfortable with the circumstances your first sex.

If you are completely certain of the statement that "no sperm did enter in my vagina", then you have nothing to worry about pregnancy-wise.

extremely sorry for not replying this long.i had my period 4days ago! i think i can have a sigh of relief now,no?

Yes, you should be ok.

However, you need to know how your body works and all the implications of sexual activity. If you need more information and help, please ask. Privately if you prefer.