I had my gallbladder removed May 4th, 2009 - I seem to be doing pretty well but I do have a pain in my middle right side lately but my most troublesome thing I have been experiencing is interrupted sleep at night with MAJOR gas & diarrhea, is this normal??? I have tried not to eat at night time to see if this helps, well it didn't last night. I am going to try some Gas-X to see if that helps. When I go to the restroom I have a combination of diarrhea and normal - is this normal & how long can I expect this to go on. I need to add that I also have ulcerative colitis, could this be interferring as well??? Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you for your time!!!! :-)

I know that with gallbladder removal that there can be some gas and diarrhea while your body adjusts to not having it in there. Your body should adjust so stay hydrated in the meantime. If it persists, it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor, but in the meantime, it sounds like it's perfectly normal. Keep us posted on your progress on your recovery!

GB removal and ulcerative colitis! That is a lot with which to deal. How well controlled is the colitis? I would think the insult of surgery could possibly stir it up. I have not had diarrhea following my GB removal so can't help with that but have friends with UC and know how difficult it can be. Several people i know have been helped tremendously with the diarrhea by taking Questran which requires prescription. Also, any bulk additive helps and I like Citrucel better than Metamucil which are OTC. Those slow down the stool's progress through your bowel.