I have problems with gallbladder, so my doctor decided I should have removal of it. I was thinking it will help me, but my friend said it could bring me more problems. I found out he had gallbladder removal, and then he experienced right flank pain. Now I am afraid if I am going to experience the same. Can you tell me that common to feel right flanking pain, after gallbladder removal?

I can tell you for sure, that most people do fine with the gall bladder removed. However perhaps 15% of individuals will experience some problems, such as right flanking pain after gallbladder removal is. Some of them might feel increased frequency of bowel movements, up to 3-4 day with looser stools after gall bladder removal. The same number of patients may have post cholecystectomy syndrome. This occurs with bloating, gas, fullness or rarely post prandial pain after the surgery of gallbladder removal. It is also possible that the absence of this concentrating function could have consequences we still have not detected. Some of these side effects may be effects on the efficiency of nutrient absorption, etc. However, you need to know that the gallbladder is not essential to life. The bile duct enlarges over time to increase the amount of bile that can be stored in it. Patients may still have fatty food intolerance and indigestion, as they are limited as to how much bile they can store and send to the duodenum.

I just got my gallbladder out about 3 weeks ago. all was fine until this past monday. I am now getting a dull pain in my ride side where my GB was. I don't know what it could be. I can pretty much eat whatever I want, but still stying away from fatty food (i am not a fried food fan except for the occassional fries so that's not an issue) I drink water all day to keep myself flushed. I lost 20 lbs so far...since this past october (10 in just the past month) because I am not really eating. Before I could finish an entire can of soup now I eat only half and I feel full and grossed out. My bowels aren't 100% yet but I heard that will take time. The only thing that is bothering me is the dull cramping pain, constantly feel thirsty and not eating meals like i use to. I don't know what to do and of course this starts after my follow up appt when I told the doc everything is fine.

I know this has been a year ago but do you still have the pain? I'm expierencing pain on my Right side for over a year now.