Does anyone have any experience with Weight Watchers? My wife jointed Weight Watchers on-line last week and has been telling me a little about the program. I have heard good things about it, but I had a few questions.

Does losing 2 pounds a week sound about right or too fast? My wife only wants to lose 10 lbs so she wants to do it quickly. I thought 2 lbs a week sounded a little fast, but I was accused of not being supportive. So, I came here for some information.

Any words of wisdom?

The ladies on my street all joined together (except me). They all did their weight loss as a group and now look fabulous.

One lady went from a size 22 to about a 12/14 and looks great. They have been at this for about a year.

When they told me about the program, it sounded really sensible, teaching habits for life and incorporating exercise after a certain weight goal had been achieved.

Now all these women are really careful with what they eat, and have really kept the weight off.

(I did my weight loss on my own with my own exercise and diet program--but I've been working at it for three years now)

I think 2 lbs. a week is a little aggressive but not unattainable especially since she's not trying to lose 100 lbs. at the rate of 2 lbs. / week.

Just remind her that once she gets down to that goal weight that she needs to make lifestyle changes that will prevent her from pushing back up to the weight she's currently at.

2 lbs a week sounds a little fast, but not out of the question for losing such a small amount of weight.

my dietician told me that my "exchange" program I'm on (much like a diabetic's exchange diet) is the foundation for weight watcher's point system. like PH said, she'll need to make the eating habits a lifestyle change or the weight will come back.

2 lbs a week is doable and not unhealthy. The hard part about setting a pound per week goal is to get frustrated if you don't meet it. If your wife only loses 1 lb on her 5th week will she get frustrated because it's not happening as fast as it should?

I have been working on my weight since Oct. 22 I have lost 36 lbs so far, with Jenny Craig being my vehicle for weight loss. There were weeks I lost 3 lbs, and there were some where I gained half a pound. To me it's all about the end goal. If I have a bad week, sure I get frustrated, but I can usually look back and tell you exactly why I didn't lose weight that week. As long as I don't let it kill my mental momentum, it's all good. I'll get there eventually.

btw, 4 lbs until goal for me!

Thanks for the replies. So far I am impressed with the WW program. It greatly simplifies how to choose your foods. You don't have to worry about the nutritional information because they assign points to each food. All you have to do is keep your daily points within a certain range. So, I guess you could only eat ice cream and get all of your poinst that way. But, I think you quickly realize that if you eat all of your points in ice cream, you will be really, really hunger by the end of the day.

I also thought 2 lbs a week was a little aggressive and I did not want her to get disappointed if she did not lose weight at that rate. I guess only time will tell.

btw, 4 lbs until goal for me!
Woohoo! That is mega-cool!!!! :dance2: Congratulations!!!

I have lost about 50lbs of fat since this time last year. My method is to cut out all snacks, donuts (slow death to rptd) and other "junk". I eat lots of salads, chicken, yogurt, etc. I run about 5 day's a week and weight train to keep my upper body in shape. I have gained about 8 - 10lbs of solid muscle mass. At last check, I had about 16% body fat by the caliper method. This is not high tech stuff, and it did require a self inflicted lifestyle change. My MD was stunned when he saw me after the weight loss. I told him in advance what I was going to do, how I was going to do it, and had a check up before hand. Not bad for a guy pushing 50 Now if I could just get my breathing right, I would be a terror in the 5 and 10k

I lost my first sixteen pounds on WW and they don't want you to lose any more than 2 lbs per week, so that would be the most your wife would lose. The first couple of weeks you tend to lose water weight (I remember I lost 5.6 lbs my second week) but after that it levels off and you lose a pound or two at most.

Great story, Ranger. I know there are a bunch of fine folks here that went through the same experience as well. Very inspiring! (and feel free to share your stories as well, homies!)

Awright, you asked for it Shelfie!

I started about three years ago. Very out of shape, overweight, couldn't even walk down the street without breathing hard.

So, I walked everyday. Increasing my mileage--walking several miles a day. Then I decided that exercise without diet modification is nothing, so I gave myself a sensible amount of fat grams a day--and stuck to them. I allowed myself treats every now and then, but basically cut out all fast food and junk.
I lost 30 pounds in the first year. I have kept it off. Last August, I decided I needed to conquer my fears. I feared running. So, we started on the C25K from CR and we ran our first 5k in October. One of the best days of my life. I had never been able to run a mile before in my life--I cried at the finish line!

Sweet story, ang!! You rock!

Sweet story, ang!! You rock!
Wow! Thanks!

HEY,

​Yes, Weight Watchers is a fabulous program. I lost a lot of weight while on the program. We used the point system back then and I believe I was allowed 26 or 28 points at the time. I had no problems with the plan. I loved the food and I also enjoyed the Weight Watcher Recipe Books. If you stick to it and if you can get I to some type of cardiovascular palong with it, you will be amazingly  surprised at the outcome. With no exercise you will still loose weight. I lost 10 lbs the first week. I weighted 284 and wore a 24-26 in size. Since that time, I've dropped to 159 and I'm 5'10 I feel and look great. I still cook recipes from the book, but the frozen meals are wonderful. Good luck! Enjoy and one more thing. I'd go to meetings if possible. 

WOW!. Great job Airehead, RangerG and ShannonG. I love hearing stories about what can be done when someone decides that it is time to take control and do something.