Hello. I’ve been visiting many pet forums ever since I got my dog. I want to be informed about everything. I like to think that I know a lot about animals. I will always regret I didn’t choose to be a vet, I think of that as an ideal job. Anyway, I am now posting here because I’ve noticed pet owners everywhere talking about benefits of raw dog food. What’s up with that? We already heard the benefits like a billion times, what I want to hear is are there any potential risks and dangers of raw dog food. Are you familiar with any disadvantages?

I support raw feeding because I don’t consider it to be risky or potentially harming. 

I believe you are more likely to harm your dog with canned and dry food. 

On the other hand, I talked to a lot of people who have some concerns when it comes to raw feeding and I must say that I understand their way of thinking. 

They are worried that bacteria in raw meat can harm both humans and dogs.  

Then there’s the problem of unbalanced raw diet which may damage the health of dogs.

And there is a potential danger of whole bones choking a dog, breaking its teeth or causing an internal puncture.

Hi guys.

I just wrote about many health benefits of raw food and I saw this post as well, so I wanted to make a comment.

From my experience (very limited I must admit – 5-6 months only), raw feeding plan is an excellent choice for your dog.

Although we can discuss about raw food risks, I think you can prevent them all. You need to buy fresh food from trusted sources – to prevent bacterial infections. You need to determine every day’s protein and carb needs for your dog – to prevent unbalanced diet. And, finally, you need to avoid giving him whole or chicken bones.

It is very easy and everyone can do it. 

Hello. Those forums are really helpful when you don’t know that much about your pet. I didn’t have an experience, but I have learn a lot about dogs on forums and sites such as steadyhealth. About your question, I am feeding my dog with raw dog food for a long time, and I really can’t tell you about the risks, because, according to my experience, risks and dangers are not in the game :) I can tell you all positive about raw dog food, because I do know how good it is for my dog. No, there no are any risk or dangers of raw dog food. That is all I can say :)

Hey there. Of course, when you want to feed your dog in one way, you should do some research, and find benefits, but you should also try to find risks, dangers and disadvantages of raw dog food. I am FOR raw food, but here are some negative things, that you should know. Potential concerns are: nutrition balance and completeness of raw diets, overall safety. Also, you should know not every dog is suitable for a raw diet, especially those immune – compromised dogs, and dogs who have certain allergies. Nutritional balance is also a concerned, because this food has no calcium source and can leave your dog at risk for severe problems. 

I always find topics about raw food interesting, so I've decided to join this one too.

Jackob, I see you are regretting you didn’t finish the vet school but why don’t you stop regretting it and start studding it on some university instead? It’s never too late. I see older people at my university all the time. I really admire their willpower.

Anyway, I see you are a very careful dog owner and that’s really nice. However, when it comes to raw food diet I can’t really talk about the disadvantages of it because it is so healthy. Yes, there could be a risk from bacteria but you can easily avoid it by buying fresh foods every day or two.

Look, I believe that raw food has some risks, but overall it is the safest way of feeding our dogs.

Since you’re asking about the risk of raw food I’ll tell you what happened to my friend’s dog, but don’t let that freak you out, cause I don’t know a single person who had a similar experience. And I know A LOT of dog owners.

Namely, she ate a pretty large piece of ground beef. My friend says that an hour later, she started vomiting all around the kitchen floor.

Soon after that, the dog had diarrhea. My friend says it must be the beef.

Hello everyone. This topic is always so interesting, especially because this diet program is always so controversial. But, I am totally for raw food, because I am aware of all benefits. Of course, there are some risks as well, such as some bacterial infections, but about some other risks, I don’t believe that there are some, because we all do know a lot of benefits of this diet program, and we all do know that this is one of the best ways to feed your dog. So, I really do believe that you don’t need to be scared about this issue. 

Hi to all. I wouldn’t say that raw food diet is as good as most of you are claiming it to be. Also I see a lot of vets that are recommending dog owners to start feeding their dogs with raw food. I am not sure about the benefits of this kind of feeding. I mean, there are some health benefits but the risks of eating raw food are much higher if you ask me.

For example, you can buy meat that you THINK is safe and fresh but it can easily be contaminated with bacteria. Also, raw foods can be hard to digest for dogs that have eaten dry and canned foods since they were born.

Hello, again.

I forgot to mention one disadvantage which new owners (or ones who want to switch to raw food) need to know. A raw feeding plan for dogs is a bit expensive than other ways of feeding.

But, if your dog is healthier from the effects of raw food, you will save a lot of money you would pay for vet’s visits instead. So, in overall, raw food is worth the costs.

Of course, there are still the problem will your dog have enough vital nutrients he needs every day. You can resolve that with supplements which you will add to the raw food meals and everything will be ok.