Hello guys. I have a few pets, but I have decide to try BARF diet program for my cat Sweetie and my dog Roger. When I was feeding them, I never was following BARF diet program. I was always combining something, and I know that this is not good thing sometimes. Now, I really do want to try this diet, completely. I know some of groceries that are allowed, but there is other side. I really need to know more about the foods that are not allowed to pets if you are feeding them according to BARF diet program.

Any information?

It is not good thing to do that, experimenting with foods. If you want your pets to be healthy, you should try one kind of food – do not combine or experiment with it. That is my opinion, maybe I am old-fashioned, but I don’t agree with a fact that you are experimenting. That is all!

Foods that are not allowed to your pets according to BARF diet program are – weight – bearing bones or even large herbivores, knuckle bones, because these bones can easily break your dog’s teeth. Also, you should avoid chicken necks, wing. Once you learn the main rules, you will feed your pets right.

Good luck! 

There are many foods that us, humans can handle, and our pets find them difficult to digest.

You should never, ever give your dog/cat any alcoholic beverages. You also want to avoid caffeine since it can be harmful for your pet, therefore no teas, no coffee, no chocolate and stuff like that.

It’s maybe a good idea to avoid fish too (raw, canned or whatever). You can overdose your pet with vitamin D.

And please don’t give your pet any human supplements that contain iron. Even though those supplements are good for us, they can be toxic for them, i.e. for their liver and their kidneys.

Hello, pet lovers.

I fed my cats according to BARF diet, so wanted to share some insight with you about this topic.

Just like humans, every animal is different so you cannot put her on very rigid diet. You must watch out for every GI problem your pet is showing. Also, you need to feed your pet carefully, because a big number of custom diets cause imbalance in your pet’s nutrition.

Beware of bony meat as they can cause choking in your pet or even serious digestive problems. And make extreme precautions that your pet doesn’t eat citrus fruits, avocado or raisins as they contain toxins which can damage pet’s kidneys. 

Hey everyone.

I think that you will be able to notice alone which food is not good for feeding your pet according to BARF diet program. I remember when my boyfriend started to feed his dog according to BARF diet program, he was giving him a fish. I just can’t describe you the feeling of this dog when he ate the fish. He was laying in the corner all day, and he was not eating nothing again. So, avoid fish and certain kinds of vegetables such as cabbage – do not even think to give cabbage to your dog. Good luck! 

I couldn’t agree more with DS991. Cabbage is bad for your dog. It will probably cause some digestive problems, and you’ll see your dog sad and depressed. That’s because he is having digestive problems.

My dog can eat fish, but I know many dogs that are over sensitive when it comes to fish. You should be careful with that.

And let me just tell you something about chicken bones- they can be really dangerous. You must cut them in small pieces before you decide to give them to your pet or else they can break in half and hurt your dog’s throat. 

I am not familiar with any digestive problems that  fish can cause. I know many dogs eat it regularly and they’ve never had any problems. The problem starts if you feed your dog with fish all the time and in great amounts. That is when the vitamin D overdose can occur.As for the citrus fruits, I know that they are not recommended for dogs because of the toxins someone mentioned above, but I sometimes give my dog a slice of avocado and he’s never had any problems. Maybe I should stop doing that. I just can’t resist when he gives me the sad look.

Hello. I am pretty much interested in this topic. Not that I have dog myself, but recently I had discussion with my very good friend who has a dog and wants to put him on this diet. I can’t stress enough my disagreement about idea of giving your pet just pure raw meat. They are not wild animals to be in need to eat that in order to survive, nor we live in old times, it’s 21st century for god’s sake. So, according to that logic, do we need to put ourselves on that kind of nutrition because our ancestors ate like that so it “must” be good?So, as I know, everything except raw meat is forbidden and I wouldn’t recommend it at all.

I have a lot of friends that have a problem with dog’s digestive problem after they give a fish to him. I am not so familiar with this as well, because I never had similar problem with my dog, but honestly, I don’t give him a lot of fish. Maybe sometimes, when I buy a fresh fish on the market, when one old guy is selling it – than I know that it is fresh. But, recently one friend told me that his dog has the same problem when he feeds him with a lamb. I don’t know why, I am not familiar with this. Do you know anything, because my dog can eat it regularly? 

I totally support BARF diet for cats because of 15+ years’ experience span. It takes more time for preparing the meals, but the health of your pet is the most important thing. Just put a little more effort and you will see that benefits are greater than you will ever imagine.

As for foods that are not allowed by BARF, my basic rule is that food needs to be fresh and warm. I had problems with cats who cannot tolerate frozen or cold food, so now I defrost their foods.

Remember – no microwave! If you do so, the bone will be brittle as microwave cooks from the inside out.