Hello. My friend have a pomeranian dog, known as Boo :) He is really cute, like a stuffed animal :) He was really expensive. To cut long story short, he really wants to feed him right, he is visiting the vet every month. Yesterday, we were talking and I told him that the raw food is something that he needs to give to his pet, but he told me that he went to the vet, and that his vet told him that raw food is very trendy lately, so even vets are worried about safety of this food.

Do you know why? Why do vets question a raw food diet for dogs? 

I feed my dog with raw food, and he is perfectly healthy. But, I was talking with my vet about this, and he told me several things that I need to know about raw food diet. He told me that eating raw good is not nutritionally balanced, and that a lot of studies confirmed this. Raw foods are not nutritionally complete, in a lot of cases. Some disease are a problem as well, because raw pet food can be contaminated with disease causing bacteria. You should think about salmonella and listeria as well. Be careful with this. I am very careful as well. 

Here’s the thing- 

Even though I love raw food diet and I tend to prepare raw food for my dog whenever I have the time for it, I admit there are several dangers for your dog’s health when it comes to this type of diet. 

First of all, there is the bacteria problem. Since the meat is raw there might be some pathogens in it that can cause serious problems to dogs, since they’re not adjusted to those microorganisms. 

The vets’ concern is mostly about an unbalanced diet that may endanger the dog’s health, especially if given for an extended period.

First of all, you should be aware of bacterias and all those bacterial infections. Just, think about us, we also can get some disease when we are eating raw food. It doesn’t have to be, of course, it always depends where do you buy this food. The same thing can happen with your dog – salmonella is something really bad that can affect your pet. I combine food sometimes for my pet, sometimes I feed it with raw food, sometimes with boiled food, but just because I am scared. I never had any problems so far with the food, but you should always be careful.

Hello guys.
I understand it might be some bacteria and pathogens in raw food but I’m still pretty sure that raw food diet is the best way of feeding dogs (and other pets too). I, personally, feed my Mr. Lick with raw food and he really enjoys it.
In my opinion, this way of feeding dogs (with raw food) is completely natural. Every animal eats raw food and theirs organisms are used to it. So, even though I understand why vets are questioning raw food diet I won’t stop feeding my Mr. Lick with it because he is so full of energy when he eats this kind of food.

I don’t understand this topic.

I know a lot of vets and not one of them is questioning this diet.

One of them is a very good friend of mine and he told me that this diet is necessary if you want your dog to be healthy. He explained me that dogs have eaten just raw foods before meeting people and  their metabolisms are “created” for that kind of foods.  

Maybe some vets are questioning the diet because of bacteria in raw food but that is not a problem for dogs because their immune system is capable to fight against bacteria. 

Yes, this is a very controversial topic. You can go to the two different veterinarians and get two totally opposite opinions. One could tell you about dangers of listeria and salmonella followed by unbalanced diet, while other one can praise raw food diet as primal diet which helped dogs to evolve and survive to the present day.

Like many other things, the truth is somewhere between these two opposites. I really believe that you need to feed your dog raw, but not only raw and every time be cautious what you are giving to him/her. If you are not totally sure that food is good, better throw it away than feed your dog with it. 

It depends, guys. We can talk until tomorrow about this, is it good or not…some of vets will tell you that it is, someone will tell you that you should avoid this diet. As I already told you, I do feed my dog with raw food and there was no problem. You say that this is very controversial topic. It is. I have heard that this diet is not so good, but I have heard this from a new, young vets. An older, experienced one will tell you that this is the best way of feeding your pet. I do that, and I told you already, I didn’t have any problems.What are your experiences? Which vet told you that you should be careful or something with this diet program?