im 23 and pregnant, ive been having a lot of chest pain under my left breast. it feels like sharp knives rubbing back and forth. and when i breath in deep it hurts more than ever. should i be scared, what is it??

Hi there,

I am 30 years old (female) and have had the problem for 6 years (I don't know if it related to being pregnant, as I have never had children). I was referred to a cardiologist, who did all the necessary tests, but nothing was found with my heart. The cause is still unknown - and I do still get it. The pain is awlays in my right chest (sometimes high up, sometimes below my rib cage). The stabbing pain is so intense, I go dizzy and need to breathe slowly and shallowly to deal with the pain, increasing my breathe intake very slowly back to normal. The attacks last about 5-10 minutes. Upper body movement sometimes brings it on, sometime though I can be perfectly still and it starts. I also fuond some interesting notes on this site - worth taking a look at what other people say

thedoctorslounge.net/chest/forums/backup/topic-816.html

Jazmine, I'm 24 years old and 5 weeks pregnant just yesterday I had to jump off the sofa with a sharp stabbing pain under my left breast, it hurt more while I took breaths and came in waves over a couple minutes? I don't know what it is? I have heard it may be gas trapped? Although my pain was pretty severe while it lasted.

I am only 17 but I have had something similar to what you all are describing. I recently had to get my gallbladder removed because of sharp pains in my chest. Your gallbladder is connected to your pancreas. If your gallbladder becomes clogged with sludge or stones, it can cause the bile it secrets to go to your pancreas (killing it basically). This condition is called cholestasis. It is very common in pregnant women and Hispanics. I had pains for 2 years before anything serious happened. My pains would make it impossible to breathe with out extreme pain. I eventually had to go to the hospital where i received a sonogram, which diagnosed me with cholestasis.

I am 24 years old and African-American. At one point, I'd occasionally have this sharp pain underneath my left breast, above my rib cage. When I would breathe during the episode, the pain would get worse. It also felt like something was bubbling up in that area when I took breaths. So, I would try not to breathe. The bubbly feeling hasn't happened recently. Now, every once and a blue moon I just get the sharp pain underneath my breast. The pain has never lasted beyond one minute.

I don't have any health problems. I go to the doctor regularly, but this is beginning to get scary. I am not pregnant and have never had children.

I get a sharp pain under my left breast often at times and then not for a while, done various tests to figure out what it could be with no result...now trying to determine what brings on the episodes, perhaps its anxiety?

my mother is a nurse practitioner and said that she has talked to doctors about this (because I had a LOT of these attacks while I was in highschool - it would hurt when i breathed in but if i breathed at that level it was fine...if i took in MORE air it was unbearable pain). Since these attacks usually go away quickly they haven't completely understood it, but it can just be Mitral Valve Prolapse. From what I've read it can also be gas trapped (has nothing to do with your heart!). Most likely it is the latter. My mom just told me to breathe steady and then breathe deeply, slowly. Once you get to a certain point in the deep breathing it goes away right?
Because that is what happened with me, so i just had to go slow and deep.

I get those every so often and if I force myself to burp alot comes out and pain eventually subsides or use Gas X, I am 43 have had palpiatations since 18 so i see cardiologist regulary, have had echos and stress tests and am told heart healthy, it is very scary I have seen many people in ER where I work thinking they are having a heart attack and its gas, but same time if you have risk factors such as age and family history u should see cardioligist

I am a 17 year Old Puerto Rican male, and I get the chest pain every now and then, but right now, especially today, for like....5 hours now, Ive had the chest pain under my right breast, and i cant breath hard, because then it just hurts worse. I have to slow my breath down to stop it from hurting, and take shallow breaths. I was even watching stand up and when i laughed it started hurting too. I googled Chest Pain under left breast to find this page, but I dont see any posts saying whats happening, or what i should do.

This condition is called PCS.
*edited by moderator*
failedsuccess.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/precordial_catch_syndrome_chest_pain/
This site explains the condition and might help some of you with your worries.
Deep breaths, laughing, sneezing, coughing, yawning, can cause serious pain in your inhaling/exhaling and feel like something is going to pop. Some responses on the site given might help you get over this problem.

I know what you suffer. Chest pain can be deiliating. I would sometimes have to pull over when driving because the pain was so bad. I was convinced for a long time my heart was not normal and there was something wrong with it. I am now 27 after years of baffeled looks by doctors and my mom convinced it was a subcousious plea for attention I read it may be due to Gastitis or another stomach acid condition. I was skeptical since it was obviously wear my heart is and not near my stomach but just next time try taking 2 tums as soon as you feel if coming before you can even swallow the second one you will feel it stopping. Tums are now my lifesaver.

I am a 41 year old woman who has suffered with this for years, matter of fact, just woke me up.....GAS!!! I also get sharp pains all the way up to my left shoulder if I eat to much. The body works in a weird way that I still don't understand, but it is gas :-)

I'm 15 years old and I just experienced this pain for the first time, under my left breast above my ribcage. The pain was sharp and like a stab, I tried to breathe in to relieve the pain but then I felt the sharp pain. I held my breathe because it hurt so bad. It definitely felt like if I inhaled something would pop there. I'm really scared, will this be a common occurance?

I'm a 17 year old girl and I've had the same thing too. Its a sharp pain in my ribs and it hurts to breathe. I thought I was the only one until my friend earlier today told me she gets the same pain. So I decided to see if I can find something online that would tell me what it is. I found a way for it to go away for me. I normally just take a really deep breath and I feel something, in the spot where the pain is, pop and it goes away. It hurts a lot to do the deep breath but it works for me I guess. I've had this problem for about a year or so.

Today I've had sharp left-side chest pain around the left side of my breast. It has lasted for about 5 hours now. I just took 2 TUMS but so far no luck. Like others have described, it gets much worse when I try to take a deep or normal breath. It also hurts when doing certain movements like stretching, walking or reaching.

I get this every so often but this is the longest it's lasted so far. Today I decided to start marking it down in my calendar to see if there's a pattern.

Once on another website I found an obscure condition with sharp chest pain as a sympton. The condition was related to endometriosis, which I do have, and I'm a few days away from the start of a cycle which is typically when my primary endometriosis area also starts to feel pain.

Trapped gas sounds like a good explanation but it is very frustrating and scary to not know for sure when there's pain in your chest. So I hope people will keep posting here with more suggestions and hopefully answers.