So for the last few years or so my reaction to alcohol has changed. I searched google to try and find answers to my problem but it doesn't seem to be that common. Anyways here it is, hopefully some of you can relate or provide insight.

I am a 24 year old male, and one drop of alcohol makes me sick for days.  It isn't a hangover in the sense that I am puking or anything, its more of a "mental/lethargic hangover" that lasts for days.  I feel extremely lethargic, am sensitive to light and noise, can't concentrate and cannot communicate well with others. The first day is bad but more of just a tired feeling. The second day is the worst, I feel like I am not really living life.  Everything feels fake and emotionless. I can't concentrate, can't be productive and feel tired all day.  I look pale and have bags under my eyes. I have a weird feeling in my brain that is hard to explain.

The sad thing is that the amount of alcohol I drink doesn't matter. For example 2 days ago I ate something that was cooked with alcohol and it was enough to trigger the hangover process.

I have given up drinking for about half of a year because of how unbearable these hangovers are, but every once in a while I will eat something that was cooked with alcohol and that is enough to trigger it.  It wasn't always like this, I used to be able to handle a few drinks and my symptoms were completely different.  It started about 2 years ago where one beer would be enough to make me messed up for multiple days.

Is there anyone that can relate to this and has found answers? I would go to the doctor but I think it is pretty obvious what he will say..to just stop drinking.  

Hi Vincho,

See your doctor.  It may be an alcohol allergy and be treatable - or at least the symptoms may be reduced.

Good luck.

Hi Vincho,

I am a 23 year old female and I have the EXACT same problem! One sip of an alcoholic beverage causes my heart rate to spike immediately and I go to bed and always wake up with extreme lethargy the next day - it usually goes away two days later. It is unbearable and is severely impacting my social life. I've never heard of anyone having the same issue until I just read your post. Did you ever see your doctor or get more answers? I've had an MRI and a water deprivation test and both came back normal. I am seeing my primary care doctor and endocrinologist within the month, but as you said, no one ever takes me seriously and tells me to just stop drinking - which I will do, but I want to know why I have to - why I have these symptoms that none of my friends have.

Your friend,
Christie

I used to be able to drink quite a bit, but starting a few years ago, I had to quit because of the how severe my hangovers became. I recently had a hangover from eating a small amount of fondue. I wonder if it’s due to a problem with my kidneys or liver. My hangovers make me severely dehydrated, and I have to pee a lot. I am under-insured, so I haven’t seen a doctor about it yet, but I would like to find out one day.

I have the exact same issue as well 35 year old male. I can just taste food I am cooking that has wine in it and the next day I wake up depressed and feeling out of it. I have said this to my doctors and they all look at me like I am nuts.