My name is Jane and I'm 35 years old woman from California. I was usually a very happy person but a few things happened recently, all in a row, and these things completely crushed my life. I ended up in a hospital because I had a nervous breakdown, I got home but I still have these anxiety attacks as a consequence.

I am getting really scared because of these anxiety attacks. I haven't talked to my doctor about it yet, I don't know why exactly, but whenever I get anxiety attack, I get a swollen throat and it gets hard for me to breathe, I think I need help.

Hi Jane,

I've been through that and I've done that, so I can give you some insight in what is actually happening to you.

The things that you just wrote are not that common in people with anxiety attacks, but they are common in people with panic attacks. As far as I can see, you are having panic attacks and not anxiety attacks.

Your symptoms are just two of a few symptoms that occur when someone is having a panic attack. Other symptoms would include that your heart is pounding fast or that you are having some chest pain similar to that of angina.

Hi EatingBoss,

Thank you very much for your reply. You can't imagine how glad I am for having a chance to talk to someone who felt how I feel and got over it. To be honest with you, I feel chest pain as well but I was so frightened to write that down here because I thought that someone is going to tell me that I have some horrible condition or something and I can't really take that, not after everything I've been through. 

At least it isn't anything serious, I mean, I can fight this. Please share your advice with me EatingBoss.

There is this thing that helped me out with my panic attacks. There are five steps to overcoming panic attacks and these are:

• Acknowledge & Accept
  • Wait & Watch (and maybe, Work)
  • Actions (to make myself more comfortable)
  • Repeat
  • End

First, you need to acknowledge that you are afraid and that you are starting to have a panic attack. Next, you need to accept that and not try to escape it or hide it. Then, you need to wait, like count to 10 and not do anything, then use the occasion to observe how the panic works, and how you respond to it. Regarding your observations, you can take actions in order to make yourself more comfortable.

Hey there. I am really glad that someone wrote this question and started this topic. This happened to me when I was a child and I still can't explain what exactly happened. I was at the park, playing and suddenly I got scared because of something, I don't remember what this was and I got really swollen throat. I couldn't breath. But this happened only once, but the truth is that since that day I have those anxiety problems and problems with depression. My friend told me that I should seek for some medications, but I don't know what to think,...

Good day folks.

Look there, swollen lymph nodes  and swollen throat are one of the most controversial symptoms of anxiety. So I believe that this should be a sign. It does appear that swollen throat is caused by anxiety, but the reason isn't clear, because there isn't a medical connection between lymph nodes and stress. You can easily determine it and I was reading that the first step to see if you have anxiety is to take my 7 minute anxiety test. You should talk to your doctor about this test, he can explain you a lot of the things. Good luck.

Hello Jane, and everyone else.

Occasionally, the swollen throat is one of the most common signs when you are dealing with anxiety attack. It is quite normal so far, because when people do panic they do have problems with breathing, etc. I remember that my best friend also had those anxiety attacks very often and her swollen throat was one of the biggest problems. Sometimes she could not even breath. Those all are very common signs and I always like to tell that you should not seek for the symptoms you should seek for the cause of your anxiety attacks. Good luck. 

Hello there. Well, I am sick and tired because of it as well. I think that anxiety attacks are usually manifested with swollen throat and when you don't have any possibility to breath. I had this problem like many of you, but my problems were so bad that I was thinking that I am going to die. I had really serious anxiety attacks. Now, generally I am OK but doctor helped me a lot. For days and days I was talking to him and he helped me to understand my problem. Help from someone who is an expert is a good thing.