My son went through a short period, (we think a couple of weeks), of smoking marijuana. Three days ago he came to us, his parents, telling us he was "freaking out!" He had just smoked part of a joint and had all the usual symptoms of a "high" and of an acute anxiety attack. The symptoms were: shortness of breath, dulling of senses, nausea, space perception was distorted, feelings of fear and loss of control. Everyday since then he has experienced the same symptoms. It is like the "high" hits him again even though he isn't smoking. One doctor told us he has a high sensitivity or alergic reaction to marijuana. We have searched the internet and cannot find any information on this type of reaction, can you help us? How long with these daily attacks occur?

Sincerely,
Sanchez Family

It just sounds like a case of paranoia. Perhaps the Marijuana used in the joint was a bit stronger than he was used to and caused him to slip into an attack. As for the continued panic attacks, it sounds like an anxiety issue that should be consulted with a doctor.

im feeling actually the same. its not affecting me as much as your son but i do have paranoia attacks.

i've been smoking marijuana for 3 years and have never had any, and i mean any weird symptoms. that's weird.

I sincerely doubt that it was an allergic reaction. I've never heard of such a thing.

I don't smoke weed myself, but my boyfriend is a regular smoker.

He once had a panic attack very similar to the one you just described. It was awful. This was NOT an allergic reaction. It was poor quality marijuana. Possibly mixed with some kind of narcotic.

When marijuana is good quality, there is only slight paranoia and an overall feeling of relaxation and well being. These anxiety attacks result from poor quality and/or the dealer mixing it with something like cocaine or even harder drugs to give it an "extra kick". It's dealers like that who make marijuana dangerous.

Obviously the ideal situation is that your son just doesn't smoke pot anymore. However, if you know he'll attempt to continue the habit, caution him about who he buys from, how much he smokes, and what he mixes it with (smoking more than what one is used to or alcohol has also caused similar panic attacks in some of my close friends).

Hope that helps

When i smoke pot i go through the same thing. I dont know if im allergic to it or if its because i suffer from anxiety.but i suggest that he stops doing it because the affects can last over a week. I smoked pot for over 4 years and now i cant even have a hoot... so watch out %-)

I smoked three weeks ago and all of a sudden out of nowhere I got high last night without smoking or anything. It has lasted for about 48 hours now, though it is a very weak high. My sense of touch is skewed, but that is it. I think I just have to wait it out. I have been taking a lot of vitamins lately though.

Hello there,
I've been having similar symptoms for the past 5 days, and I'm wondering how your son has been since.
Thanks in advance,

Likelylad74

Sounds like he's built up a dependency and is going through withdrawals.
Contrary to popular belief, marijuana can lead to dependency and withdrawal symptoms.

From my own experience, if I smoke a large amount for 1-2weeks+, I will have very strong withdrawals. I'll have anxiety attacks, nausea, vomiting, depression(or mania), and insomnia. To sum it up, I basically experience the opposite effects to the marijuana high. This will last for 3-5 days, and my heart rate will usually be around 120 bpm for those few days.
I usually try to prepare meal replacement shakes so that I can get my proper nourishment when my appetite is completely gone, and I constantly feel the urge to vomit.

I would try to extinguish this HUGE burst of energy by running. This greatly helps with my appetite and anxiety. This also greatly shortens the onset of the withdrawals.

If you're lazy, I find that diphenhydramine, or benadryl, an OTC allergy relief or sleep aid medication greatly aids in toning down the withdrawals. It relaxes the body, helps me sleep and helps me gain back some appetite.

Lastly, I'd like to say that dependence for marijuana is psychological. I brought it upon myself when I always had the attitude that I had to smoke some before eat, sleep, or for many other activities. Therefore, I slowly was unable to do any of those without the weed. In fact, I had to smoke just to feel normal.

I went back to smoking occaisionally, but kept myself from having those thought patterns, and I hardly get any withdrawals anymore.

When weed becomes the only thing that can activate the reward centers of your brain, you're going to be in a world of hurt when you don't have it anymore. But if you have plenty of other things that can activate it, you'll feel fine without the weed.

Wow that guy above me just explained everything im going through right now. haha. im getting high while im reading this cuz my vision is all screwed up and i see all types of weird tracers and halos and sh*t. haha