Hi! I’m seven months pregnant. Until now everything was great with me but since yesterday I have a really painful urination. I think I have a urinary tract infection. I know that I should go to doctor but until then I want to know can UTI place you at risk for preterm labor. Thanks!

I got a huge problem with UTIs during my pregnancy and I know that untreated UTI can increase the risk of preterm labor contractions. Go to your doctor as soon as you can and he will give you some medications. After few days you will be ok again. Try to drink a plenty of water and cranberry juice.

Urinary tract infections are very common during pregnancy. In fact, chances are even bigger that you will get UTI during pregnancy, than not. Yes, if UTI is untreated for a longer period of time it might lead to premature labor or your baby being born underweight, still this happens rarely and in cases when you ignore symptoms like painful urination.

Luckily, even though it does sound scary and threatening, ob-gyns are usually very aware of this possibility and there is efficient antibiotic treatment that will not harm the baby. Even though drinking water and cranberry juice to flush the bacteria out will help speed up your recovery, I would definitely recommend you to see your gyno about this since you are this far pregnant and it definitely is safer to avoid any problems.